CoA Sticker from WGA Kit RRS feed

• Question

• I received my CD, etc in the mail yesterday.  I just had to comment about the CoA sticker thats included.  Most of the responses here state that the CoA sticker should be attached to the computer case.  If that's true, then why is Microsoft shipping out the WGA kits with the CoA sticker glued to the outside of the shipping envelope?  I can't remove it from the envelope to affix it to my computer now.  What's the point of providing it if it can't be used in the manner in which its intended?  Why wasn't the CoA just included in the envelope with the CD so that it could be used to denote the software as genuine?  I have no intention of selling my computer so its not a critical issue for me, because I can just keep the envelope, but its one that makes no sense.  Any ideas?
    Tuesday, June 6, 2006 11:34 AM

Answers

•  Probedude wrote:
    Mine too showed up yesterday from my first purchase - and the COA sticker too was on the outside and beat up from transit.

But, although it says COA on it, there is no serial number.  I guess we're supposed to keep our email with the key with the CD.

Still - seems quite odd to put this sticker on the outside at all.

This whole WGA thing sounds not well thought through.
    - the customer service lines are clogged and it takes 10's of mins to get someone
    - orders are getting lost to the point that there is NO record of an order in their system
    - they're out of stock of CD's leading to long delays in shipping them
    - no COA sticker is given

Dave

Thank you for the feedback Dave. I agree, if we are sending the COA sticker on the outside of the package that is just wrong. We will be looking into the issues you have indentified in your post. 

I also wanted to confirm you do in fact have a valid Product Key at this time and have been able to successfully install it.

We take all feedback seriously and always look forward to improving our customer experience..

Thanks Again

dave

Tuesday, June 6, 2006 4:23 PM
  •  iluvaxlrose wrote:
    I received my CD, etc in the mail yesterday.  I just had to comment about the CoA sticker thats included.  Most of the responses here state that the CoA sticker should be attached to the computer case.  If that's true, then why is Microsoft shipping out the WGA kits with the CoA sticker glued to the outside of the shipping envelope?  I can't remove it from the envelope to affix it to my computer now.  What's the point of providing it if it can't be used in the manner in which its intended?  Why wasn't the CoA just included in the envelope with the CD so that it could be used to denote the software as genuine?  I have no intention of selling my computer so its not a critical issue for me, because I can just keep the envelope, but its one that makes no sense.  Any ideas?

Thank you for your post and feedback. There is no need to affix this sticker to your computer. This is done when purchasing a computer from a Vendor. The important thing is that you keep the porduct key and the new media together. However you should choose to do that.

thanks

dave

Tuesday, June 6, 2006 4:26 PM

All replies

• Mine too showed up yesterday from my first purchase - and the COA sticker too was on the outside and beat up from transit.

But, although it says COA on it, there is no serial number.  I guess we're supposed to keep our email with the key with the CD.

- the customer service lines are clogged and it takes 10's of mins to get someone
    - orders are getting lost to the point that there is NO record of an order in their system

Dave
    Tuesday, June 6, 2006 2:17 PM
  •  Probedude wrote:
    Mine too showed up yesterday from my first purchase - and the COA sticker too was on the outside and beat up from transit.

Dave

Thank you for the feedback Dave. I agree, if we are sending the COA sticker on the outside of the package that is just wrong. We will be looking into the issues you have indentified in your post. 

I also wanted to confirm you do in fact have a valid Product Key at this time and have been able to successfully install it.

We take all feedback seriously and always look forward to improving our customer experience..

Thanks Again

dave

Tuesday, June 6, 2006 4:23 PM
  •  iluvaxlrose wrote:
    I received my CD, etc in the mail yesterday.  I just had to comment about the CoA sticker thats included.  Most of the responses here state that the CoA sticker should be attached to the computer case.  If that's true, then why is Microsoft shipping out the WGA kits with the CoA sticker glued to the outside of the shipping envelope?  I can't remove it from the envelope to affix it to my computer now.  What's the point of providing it if it can't be used in the manner in which its intended?  Why wasn't the CoA just included in the envelope with the CD so that it could be used to denote the software as genuine?  I have no intention of selling my computer so its not a critical issue for me, because I can just keep the envelope, but its one that makes no sense.  Any ideas?

Thank you for your post and feedback. There is no need to affix this sticker to your computer. This is done when purchasing a computer from a Vendor. The important thing is that you keep the porduct key and the new media together. However you should choose to do that.

thanks

dave

Tuesday, June 6, 2006 4:26 PM
  • Iluvaxlrose,

The edition of XP being shipped out on the Genuine Windows Offer is a Full Retail license for XP, either Home or Pro.  The usual retail price for this item is $299 for Pro and $199 for Home.

If you were to buy that product packaged in the nice shiny pretty retail box on the shelf at the local store, the COA for the product would also be on the outside of the packaging, specifically on the "boxtop."  In the upper right corner of the front, it would read "For computers without an operating system, or computers running Windows 95."  On the inside would be a folder with the CD placed on a sponge rubber dot and a yellow/orange sticker with the Product Key.

I agree that putting the COA on the outside of the shipping package is kinda dumb, since half the people are going to throw it way!!  It might have been a shortsighted decision to take advantage of whatever type of barcode is on the COA and use it for tracking/stock keeping purposes, but IMO if that is the case they made the wrong decision.

As Dave of MS mentioned, the type of COA affixed to the computer is only used by OEMs, both the smaller neighborhood ones (systembuilder/OEMs) and the "royalty OEMs, Dell, Sony, HP, IBM, etc.

Tuesday, June 6, 2006 4:41 PM
  • Hello Dave,
    I have placed 2 orders for the WGA kit. The first order was on 5/16 and I received an email confirmation with the new key on 5/17.  It is for this order that I just received my CD in the mail yesterday (6/5).

The 2nd order was placed on 5/31 for another PC and I still have NO email with the new key.  It is this order that I've called customer service on 2X, each time they were not able to find anything in any of their databases of this 2nd order, and each time they took down all my information to pass on to the WGA dept.

My 5/31 order online status still shows as "Submitted  Backordered" and when I click on "Order list" both the 5/16 and the 5/31 orders show up there.  I find it very odd that I can check status online yet the CSRs show nothing in their systems except for the original 5/16 order.

Today will be 48 'business' hours since my first CSR call gave the WGA department my information. Still no phone call or email from them, and still no new key for my 2nd order.

Dave
    Tuesday, June 6, 2006 5:05 PM
  • Hello Dave,
    I have placed 2 orders for the WGA kit. The first order was on 5/16 and I received an email confirmation with the new key on 5/17.  It is for this order that I just received my CD in the mail yesterday (6/5).

The 2nd order was placed on 5/31 for another PC and I still have NO email with the new key.  It is this order that I've called customer service on 2X, each time they were not able to find anything in any of their databases of this 2nd order, and each time they took down all my information to pass on to the WGA dept.

My 5/31 order online status still shows as "Submitted  Backordered" and when I click on "Order list" both the 5/16 and the 5/31 orders show up there.  I find it very odd that I can check status online yet the CSRs show nothing in their systems except for the original 5/16 order.

Today will be 48 'business' hours since my first CSR call gave the WGA department my information. Still no phone call or email from them, and still no new key for my 2nd order.

Dave
    Tuesday, June 6, 2006 5:11 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.  I realize that the CoA is affixed when purchased with a pc as an OEM, but I thought, when I ordered it, that it surely wouldnt hurt to affix it to my pc also, so it wouldnt get lost.  Unfortunately, that isnt an option, so I'm just going to have to hope that it doesnt fall out of the CD case.  Just didnt seem logical to me to glue something like that on the mailing envelope, where it ends up damaged in transit, when it could have been used in another manner.
    Tuesday, June 6, 2006 6:21 PM
  • iluvaxlrose,

When I see my customers having a hard time holding onto CDs, Product Keys, passwords, etc, I tell them to store them inside the computer case, that way it's "almost" impossible to lose them.

Laptops excluded of course

Tuesday, June 6, 2006 7:13 PM
  • I see another added benefit of including the COA sticker - the warm fuzzy feeling that I've done the "right thing", and a constant reminder when you see it that "I've done the right thing".

(not that I'm insinuating that people that have non-genuine software knowingly installed it)

So far, all the WGA snafu's just make us feel like "2nd class citizens"   This sticker issue is just another reminder of that.
    Tuesday, June 6, 2006 8:37 PM
  •  iluvaxlrose wrote:
    Thanks for the reply.  I realize that the CoA is affixed when purchased with a pc as an OEM, but I thought, when I ordered it, that it surely wouldnt hurt to affix it to my pc also, so it wouldnt get lost.  Unfortunately, that isnt an option, so I'm just going to have to hope that it doesnt fall out of the CD case.  Just didnt seem logical to me to glue something like that on the mailing envelope, where it ends up damaged in transit, when it could have been used in another manner.

iluvaxlrose:

I'm looking into this issue immediately. Thanks for your input - and we certainly appreciate the feedback given. I agree, this shouldn't be happening and it *WILL* be resolved.

-Phil Liu

Wednesday, June 7, 2006 12:36 AM
  • I'm sure that works really well for someone that has side case fans.. I can almost imagine those little pieces of paper with keys and passwords on them ending up in the power supply fan or heatsink fan

Thanks, Phil..  as I said, its not critical but it still makes no sense to me and as another poster said, it would be nice to have that little visual reminder of being 'legit'.

Wednesday, June 7, 2006 1:58 AM
  • Thanks Phil,
    as much as Microsoft may hate doing this, all the "pats on the back" you can give people that come and purchase the WGA kit should be given, and the WGA kit purchase needs to be as simple, fast and painless as possible. 

The price break is great - but think how many more sales there would be if the price point were even lower!

Upgrade the process so that orders are not lost, hung out for too long, and you have enough CD's printed and ship them asap.  The panic for a person that suddenly is confronted by a "your software is counterfeit" drives them to make it correct and just as soon as possible.  Having a 24-48 hour new key email wait (or longer when orders are lost) and a 2-4 week delivery of the CD which is needed if the online check fails, sends a message of "we're just scaring you to buy this" and "thank you for your $$, your computer won't die or fail so you can wait 4 weeks for the CD".

Include everything that comes in a retail package - like the COA label (forget the glitzy retail box though).

Just some more feedback.
    Wednesday, June 7, 2006 4:45 AM
  •  iluvaxlrose wrote:

I'm sure that works really well for someone that has side case fans.. I can almost imagine those little pieces of paper with keys and passwords on them ending up in the power supply fan or heatsink fan  

Oh, c'mon, give me a little credit!  All is secured with duct tape (aka in the  USArmy and NASCAR as 100-mile-an-hour tape).

Wednesday, June 7, 2006 5:54 PM
  • Oh, no.. in nascar, its 200-mph tape.  One of the two things everyone needs for survival.. duct tape if it moves, and WD40 if it doesnt   (I knew you werent serious anyway..but I wouldnt be surprised if there are some people out there duct taping their passwords to the inside of their cases as we type).
    Wednesday, June 7, 2006 6:08 PM
  •  Probedude wrote:

>SNIP<
    Include everything that comes in a retail package - like the COA label (forget the glitzy retail box though).

Just some more feedback.

Probedude,

This may be a subtle point, but there is a reason why the OEM COAs are an adhesive label and the retail COAs are a label on the packaging (the glitzy box has it on the boxtop).  The OEM COA is married to, attached, affixed, whatever word you want to use, to the hardware supplied by the OEM both from a phycial point of view (glued to the computer) as well as a licensing point of view, ie, the OEM license is only good on that particular computer and cannot be moved to another.  On the other hand, the retail license is not associated in any way with any given computer (except for the one that is happens to be installed on at the moment), so maybe that's why there is no intent or method of gluing it to a computer, because it can be moved to an infinite number of computers, one at a time.

But I agree, on the outside of the shipping envelope is just asking for it to be defaced or thrown out.

I was thinking that the "get legal" kit should be a really nice specifically designed package, including a heartfelt letter of appreciation from Bill Gates thanking you for putting food back in the mouths of his kids, with a look and tone that evokes a feeling of "doing the right thing," "coming back to the fold," "coming home to your roots."   The package would have images of family reunions, togetherness, couples making up, maybe even a picture of Rodney King saying, "Can't we all just get along?" or maybe a Star Wars themed photo, welcoming you back from (or back to, depending upon how you view MS) The Dark Side.

Wednesday, June 7, 2006 6:11 PM