Remote Access Question RRS feed

• Question

•  

I created an account that has only read access to just certain shares, like photos. This account is not a local account on any pc. I use this account to give to friends if they want to see some pics on the web. When they connect to my Server over the Internet, is there any way to not allow them to see the option to connect to remote computers, just have the Shared Folders link? Since this account has no local account on any of my pc's they can't remote into them anyways without knowing a login and password for those pc's, but I would like it better if they didn't see anything at all. Thanks.
    Tuesday, September 18, 2007 4:01 PM

Answers

• Good question!

"out of the box" you get all the tabs and options - the only way to stop people from accessing them is to not give them the passwords, which isnt exactly the best option and doesnt really answer your question!

Without playing with the code that makes up the webpages, I would imagine that the answer is no! It would be worth going to the Microsoft Connect site and adding that as a request for V2 though.

All the best

Andrew

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 4:19 PM
  • As Andrew has said, the answer is no. There's no way to keep a user who has permission to log in to the Remote Access web site from seeing the Shares or Computers tabs. There are suggestions to this effect on Connect, however. See e.g. this one.
    Tuesday, September 18, 2007 4:57 PM
  • An alternative, if your confident and computer literate, would be to use the inbuilt IIS and develop another, seperate site within WHS and use that for your visitors. It just has to be on a different port from the inbuilt web site.

There are quite a few posts in the forum which will help if you decided this is an option.

HTH,

Colin

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 6:03 PM

All replies

• Good question!

"out of the box" you get all the tabs and options - the only way to stop people from accessing them is to not give them the passwords, which isnt exactly the best option and doesnt really answer your question!

Without playing with the code that makes up the webpages, I would imagine that the answer is no! It would be worth going to the Microsoft Connect site and adding that as a request for V2 though.

All the best

Andrew

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 4:19 PM
  • As Andrew has said, the answer is no. There's no way to keep a user who has permission to log in to the Remote Access web site from seeing the Shares or Computers tabs. There are suggestions to this effect on Connect, however. See e.g. this one.
    Tuesday, September 18, 2007 4:57 PM
  • An alternative, if your confident and computer literate, would be to use the inbuilt IIS and develop another, seperate site within WHS and use that for your visitors. It just has to be on a different port from the inbuilt web site.

There are quite a few posts in the forum which will help if you decided this is an option.

HTH,

Colin

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 6:03 PM