Public IM - Outgoing working but not incoming RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I was hoping someone could help. I am trying to setup public federation but seem to be running into a few problems. I can send ourt mesages to public im users, but when they receive the message, they still see me as offline and when trying to send a message it doesnt arrive at my communicator user.

I have a edge access server sitting in top of an isa 2004 machine, which I am then telling that my front end is the next hop. I also have a mediation server, but presume this has no role to play here. Is there any configration that needs to be done on or around the exchange server ?

I do have a public certificate configured. I presume thi is fine since the public im provider is letting messages go through to their user, but for some eason I dont get anything back. Does anyone have some tips for me to solve this or maybe even ways in which I can troubleshoot this?

Thanks

Glen

Thursday, May 24, 2007 3:55 PM

Answers

• HI  Glen,

some things to check:

• External SRV record (registration and resolution)
    • Certificates (FQDN matching)
    • DNS resolution (internal VS external)
    • Ports

...last, Public IM connectivity requires an addictional license.

HTH

Chichio

Monday, May 28, 2007 11:08 PM
  • We have a similar setup and this is what we have found.

Federation: with Microsoft corporate, working as expected.

PIC:

• AOL - Messaging and presence working
    • Yahoo - You can message both ways but you cannot see their presence, the can see yours
    • MSN: Not working at all.

Make sure you add your OCS 2007 system into (both the pool and host) into the list of internal servers permitted to access the access proxy.    And also make sure your internal system are DNS resolvable by the external server, you can override DNS lookups, but adding the host names into your hosts file. 

To debug, turn your logging level up and make sure you are receiveing presence subscription on all the servers in the chain. 

I don't think we should expect everything to work in this configuration until we upgrade our outside edge to 2007. 

Tuesday, June 5, 2007 8:10 PM

All replies

• HI  Glen,

some things to check:

• External SRV record (registration and resolution)
    • Certificates (FQDN matching)
    • DNS resolution (internal VS external)
    • Ports

...last, Public IM connectivity requires an addictional license.

HTH

Chichio

Monday, May 28, 2007 11:08 PM
  • HI Glen,

Were you able to follow Chichio's suggestions? If you have found a fix please share it with the forums. If not, please let us know what you have tried and what your current status is. Thanks.

Monday, June 4, 2007 9:21 PM
  • We have a similar setup and this is what we have found.

Federation: with Microsoft corporate, working as expected.

PIC:

• AOL - Messaging and presence working
    • Yahoo - You can message both ways but you cannot see their presence, the can see yours
    • MSN: Not working at all.

Make sure you add your OCS 2007 system into (both the pool and host) into the list of internal servers permitted to access the access proxy.    And also make sure your internal system are DNS resolvable by the external server, you can override DNS lookups, but adding the host names into your hosts file. 

To debug, turn your logging level up and make sure you are receiveing presence subscription on all the servers in the chain. 

I don't think we should expect everything to work in this configuration until we upgrade our outside edge to 2007. 

Tuesday, June 5, 2007 8:10 PM
  • Hi i5,

Can you let us know the status of your issue?

Thursday, June 28, 2007 4:22 PM
  •  

In a lab environment I was wanting to interwork OCS with another SIP network (an IMS).

Connected to this IMS network would be a variety of SIP clients, that I would want to show both Voice and IM interworking.

Is this possible using an Edge Server and Mediation Server ?

Im confused about a previous comment "Public IM connectivity requires an addictional license.". Is this license for interworking with just MSN, Yahoo & AOL ?

In theory if my network accepts the SIMPLE protocol then no licensing would be required. Am I correct in that assumption ?

Wednesday, July 4, 2007 2:17 PM
  • The mediation server is really not going to play a part in this.  What will play a part is initiating an authenticated SIP communication between the two IM Systems.  I would look at the OCS SDK to get more pointers on how to accomplish this.  I don't recall any prescriptive guidance on non-Microsoft IM services, outside of the federeation for the Public IM providers.

Of course, OCS isn't even released yet.  :-)

The PIC is not necessary, and yes - it is a license to connect AOL, MSN and Yahoo.  License agreements between the 4 entities require something more than when you connect OCS to OCS or LCS via some other method of federation.

Wednesday, July 4, 2007 6:01 PM
  •  

The mediation server was for the Voice interworking, if the external SIP network might not support encrypted SIP.

Can you provide a link to the OCS SDK ?

Also I have noticed there is a LCS Interdomain Federation Profile :-

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=01ba4f2b-f2d5-4b88-944e-a5f5e5106f81&DisplayLang=en

But does anybody know if there is one for OCS ? I applied for the Interopability Specification, but have still not received it yet !!!

Wednesday, July 4, 2007 8:36 PM
  • Hi,

I am having some of these same issues. My problem only is with Yahoo. I am able to IM outbound but nothing back in. I cannot see presence either. Any thoughts?

Tony

Friday, June 27, 2008 7:40 PM