acces denied and windows explorer RRS feed

• Question

• 2 Quick questions.
    First, On my desktop, when accessing a mesh syncronized folder, sometimes i am denied access. I can open the folder, but cannot move items in or out of the folder, access denied. When checking security tab of properties on folder, access is denied. But if i sign out of mesh, folder is fully accessable. Why does it do that?

Second, First time this has happened. On my desktop, I tryed to open a folder. Windows explorer froze. I opened task manager, and it showed 2 users on my desktop. In services,in mesh service, under properties, I have it set to interact with the desktop, so that may explain that. I couldnot close the desktop, I had to shutdown with tower button. When windows logged back on. an error message appeared, I managed to get back on the desktop, and everything was fine. mY question is could mesh have anything to do with this?
    Diana , MSP, MSBP, .Net Developement and Visual Studio Forums Moderator, MSDN Sandbox Forums Moderator http://djartsinc.spaces.live.com Smile,,,Share Some Sunshine
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 12:19 AM

Answers

• Hi, Diana.
    I've never encountered this with multiple machines running Live Mesh, but I wouldn't rule it out. :-)

I would speculate that the access denied situation could happen when Live Mesh is in the middle of synchronizing the folder contents, but no other time. Note that when I view the security tab of the meshed fodlers I see no reference to Live mesh and my ID is the owner/administrator of the folder and files.

A hard lockup in Explorer is often due to misbehaving shell add-ins. Since Live Mesh is a shell add-in, it is certainly possible that Live Mesh was also a contributing factor in your crash/lock-up.

It may be worth filing a bug on both issues, especially if you see it again, and perhaps the Live Mesh team will spot something in your logs.

How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 11:33 AM

All replies

• Hi, Diana.
    I've never encountered this with multiple machines running Live Mesh, but I wouldn't rule it out. :-)

I would speculate that the access denied situation could happen when Live Mesh is in the middle of synchronizing the folder contents, but no other time. Note that when I view the security tab of the meshed fodlers I see no reference to Live mesh and my ID is the owner/administrator of the folder and files.

A hard lockup in Explorer is often due to misbehaving shell add-ins. Since Live Mesh is a shell add-in, it is certainly possible that Live Mesh was also a contributing factor in your crash/lock-up.

It may be worth filing a bug on both issues, especially if you see it again, and perhaps the Live Mesh team will spot something in your logs.

How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 11:33 AM
  • Hi Steve,

Thanks for explaining that. I wasn't sure. As I said, it only happened one time. If it happens again, I will file a report. Thanks for your reply
    Diana , MSP, MSBP, .Net Developement and Visual Studio Forums Moderator, MSDN Sandbox Forums Moderator http://djartsinc.spaces.live.com Smile,,,Share Some Sunshine
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 7:20 PM