Invaild Product Key (Windows Vista Home Premium) + Genuine Problems. RRS feed

• Question

• So hey. This laptop, a Toshiba Satellite S5200 had a virus on it and we didn't have anti-virus software at the time. A friend whom I am no longer associated with lend me their copy of Windows to fix the problem, but only temporary. When I used the disk, IT REQUIRED NO PRODUCT KEY WHATSOEVER . (Sorry there, people just don't seem to understand that. It honestly gave me no option). So about a month into it, of course it was hit with my Start button missing. I used the product key on THIS laptop and it failed. I couldn't uninstall Windows at the time because the virus caused huge amounts of damage. It even failed to System Restore.

Before you ask, YES, I have called Toshiba and they basically told me they couldn't do anything since the laptop's warranty ran out just a week before. And I just called Microsoft but they gave me the same thing. To go back to the person who originally installed the OS. Thing is, the owner of the laptop has no way to access that person so I'm stuck with a useless key. Any help, please? This laptop has been non-genuine for over 4 months.

Sunday, December 26, 2010 7:30 PM

Answers

• "Need A Dispenser" wrote in message news:ebf974b1-4943-4e6f-9457-b9b5abe5ba37...

So hey. This laptop, a Toshiba Satellite S5200 had a virus on it and we didn't have anti-virus software at the time. A friend whom I am no longer associated with lend me their copy of Windows to fix the problem, but only temporary. When I used the disk, IT REQUIRED NO PRODUCT KEY WHATSOEVER . (Sorry there, people just don't seem to understand that. It honestly gave me no option). So about a month into it, of course it was hit with my Start button missing. I used the product key on THIS laptop and it failed. I couldn't uninstall Windows at the time because the virus caused huge amounts of damage. It even failed to System Restore.

Before you ask, YES, I have called Toshiba and they basically told me they couldn't do anything since the laptop's warranty ran out just a week before. And I just called Microsoft but they gave me the same thing. To go back to the person who originally installed the OS. Thing is, the owner of the laptop has no way to access that person so I'm stuck with a useless key. Any help, please? This laptop has been non-genuine for over 4 months.

Go back to Toshiba and order a set of recovery disks from them. The key will not be needed with that disk set (and will work if for some reason it is required later)
    Your other option is to reinstall with a retail Windows disk of the same version and edition as the one on the COA Sticker, but use the key from the sticker during the install - that usually works.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, December 28, 2010 10:23 PM
    Sunday, December 26, 2010 8:39 PM