cannot install WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I have 120 day eval copy of WHS. I cannot get it installed on my server-intended PC. It has always been the case that when I start that PC it says:

boot.ini invalid booting from C:\\WINDOWS

I have placed the installation disk in the DVD drive as directed but the computer boots up as if the DVD was not there. Advice please.

Computer:

XP pro service pack 3 build 2600

2 HD: one IDE 150 GB two partitions

one sata 500 GB all free space (new)

1.5 MHz processor

768 Gb memory, 324 available

boot \device\harddiskvolumn 2
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 9:26 PM

Answers

• You will probably have to configure your computer's BIOS so that it will boot from the DVD-ROM drive first.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 10:35 PM

All replies

• You will probably have to configure your computer's BIOS so that it will boot from the DVD-ROM drive first.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 10:35 PM
  • Ken,  I was afraid you were going to say that. BIOS scares me. But alas, it was rather easy. Of course my BIOS has no option for DVD, only CD-ROM. BTW putting the Installation DVD in the CD drive does not work...well DUH. When the disk was in the DVD drive and the option came up to "hit any key to boot from CD or DVD, I was not fast enuf. I push the reset again and with baited breath (whatever that is) I was poised with finger on the space bar and SHAZAM the Windows Home Server began to install. When I left the computer a few minutes ago it had 60+ minutes remaining.

Hope I don't jinx myself but I declare this thread finished.  And thank you Ken.
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 4:40 PM