Problem with Restore CD network connection/drivers in restoring to a Vista 64 bit system RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am having a problem restoring a backup of my Vista Ultimate 64-bit machine from my HP EX475 Windows Home Server.  I can't use my Vista machine since as soon as I boot and login, two error messages come, one says "You are about to be logged off - Windows must now restart because plug and play service terminated unexpectedly and the other says"Location is unavailable c:\windows/system32/config/systemprofile/desktop is not accessible - access denied" and reboots within seconds of logging in. The cycle repeats itself.

Anyway, I have a current backup of the vista machine on my windows home server, and since I could't get the Vista machine to work, I wanted to restore from my Home Server.  However, the restore process can't find my intel network card and can't do the restore.  I tried putting the files from the current backup "
    Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore" folder on a USB, but it still didn't work.  I do have the latest updates on the Home Server including PP1 and I even downloaded the new restore CD (dual boot), but still no success.  I read somewhere that I may need 32-bit network drivers rather that the 64-bit drivers in the backup for the restore process (didn't PP1 fix the problem with 64 bit support?). 

I have downloaded the 32-bit network driver .exe file from intel for my intel 82566DC network card, but I can't find the files it extracts using the /e option.  Can you help me with finding the files from the downloaded intel driver (.exe) and tell which ones I need to put on a USB stick so that I could restore my backup.  Or any other suggestions to get my system running?

Would appreciate any help.
    Wednesday, October 22, 2008 12:48 AM

Answers

• It's prossibly some error with the driver inf file. Instead of of starting endless quest for the correct driver I would personally:

1. start with popping in Vista install DVD, boot from DVD, run repair. Vista has pretty powerful repair capabillities

2. If this doesn't fix it take the hard disk out of the Vista machine, mount in another PC, then run restore on that PC. Please make sure you restore the correct hard disk if you have to use this option.

Please note: If you boot from WHS repair disk you will at some point get a list of detected hardware (NIC and hard disks). At this point you select install drivers. It will then prompt you to insert diskette or USB thumb drive with drivers (put drivers in folder named "drivers" in the root of the disk / thumb drive). After inserting the diskette / thumb drive click "Scan".
    Wednesday, October 22, 2008 1:18 AM
  • Hi,
    varti said:

I am having a problem restoring a backup of my Vista Ultimate 64-bit machine from my HP EX475 Windows Home Server.  I can't use my Vista machine since as soon as I boot and login, two error messages come, one says "You are about to be logged off - Windows must now restart because plug and play service terminated unexpectedly and the other says"Location is unavailable c:\windows/system32/config/systemprofile/desktop is not accessible - access denied" and reboots within seconds of logging in. The cycle repeats itself.

I have seen the same message about the ...\profile\desktop folder on a Vista 32 bit laptop, which I tried to migrate to a larger harddisk using the only backup shown as completed I had from that machine. Restore went well according to the restore CD, but besides above error message got also a few messages about invalid DLL files on this system. Performed some more restore tests with always the same result. Finally, after issuing a bug report on Connect, I transferred the old disk with Acronis True Image.

If you have a second PC connected to Windows Home Server, you can try to connect the disk of the first PC to that second PC and use the ClientRestoreWizard.exe in Program Files\Windows Home Server to restore the disk. Be carefull while selecting the restore target in this case to not overwrite volumes on the wrong disk.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, October 22, 2008 4:03 AM

All replies

• It's prossibly some error with the driver inf file. Instead of of starting endless quest for the correct driver I would personally:

1. start with popping in Vista install DVD, boot from DVD, run repair. Vista has pretty powerful repair capabillities

2. If this doesn't fix it take the hard disk out of the Vista machine, mount in another PC, then run restore on that PC. Please make sure you restore the correct hard disk if you have to use this option.

Please note: If you boot from WHS repair disk you will at some point get a list of detected hardware (NIC and hard disks). At this point you select install drivers. It will then prompt you to insert diskette or USB thumb drive with drivers (put drivers in folder named "drivers" in the root of the disk / thumb drive). After inserting the diskette / thumb drive click "Scan".
    Wednesday, October 22, 2008 1:18 AM
  • Hi,
    varti said:

I have seen the same message about the ...\profile\desktop folder on a Vista 32 bit laptop, which I tried to migrate to a larger harddisk using the only backup shown as completed I had from that machine. Restore went well according to the restore CD, but besides above error message got also a few messages about invalid DLL files on this system. Performed some more restore tests with always the same result. Finally, after issuing a bug report on Connect, I transferred the old disk with Acronis True Image.

If you have a second PC connected to Windows Home Server, you can try to connect the disk of the first PC to that second PC and use the ClientRestoreWizard.exe in Program Files\Windows Home Server to restore the disk. Be carefull while selecting the restore target in this case to not overwrite volumes on the wrong disk.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, October 22, 2008 4:03 AM