Firewall problem: losing connection to wireless router RRS feed

• Question

• I made a change from Verizon DSL to Verizon Fios. I never had any connection issues. Now I intermittently loose the connection to my network (same happens to both PCs in my circle but it does not necessarily happen at the same time). Sometimes the connection is not there when the PC is booted. Sometimes I loose it when changing websites. The only way to reconnect is to “disconnect” from my network, disable the OneCare firewall, reconnect & finally I can enable the firewall again. Then everything works fine. A third PC (oper sys=XP) on my network but not in the OneCare Circle is not having any problems.

Based on this information, I assume there is an issue with the firewall. Any ideas?

Both problem computers run XP.
    Sunday, April 5, 2009 11:46 PM

Answers

• If you were unable to connect to your router wirelessly at all, I'd go with the firewall issue in a flash, but the fact that it is intermittent suggests that the firewall is involved, but not the specific cause. It appears that the problem happens when the network connection is lost and Windows wants to reconnect. At that point, it is unable to do so until you disable the OneCare firewall, which should not, of course, be needed. If you also encounter the problem when you first turn the PC on, then it is an issue with the way your router assigns network information to the PC and its interaction with the OneCare firewall. You may want to try opening OneCare, clicking Change Settings, and going to the advanced button on the firewall settings tab - then the Ports and Protocols tab.
    Place a check mark next to the 3 entries for ICMP and also make sure that a check mark exists next to Network Discovery.
    Verify that there are no other active network connections shown on the Connections tab. If there are, you may need to disable an adapter in your network settings from Windows Control Panel. Verify also that your network is identified as being Home or Work and not Public.
    If the problem persists, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Monday, April 6, 2009 12:50 PM