how do you block this virus site? RRS feed

• General discussion

• this site,[Removed], is a web site that puts a virus on your computer. it hit my sisters and so far i have only been able to avoid it by stoping explorer with (contol alt delete) imideate stop program thing.  than opening explorer without restoring session. i have tried to block it but the block site does not register it. please look into it.
    • Edited by JimR1Moderator Wednesday, March 3, 2010 2:26 AM removed link.
    • Changed type JimR1Moderator Wednesday, March 3, 2010 2:27 AM
    • Moved by JimR1Moderator Wednesday, March 3, 2010 2:28 AM Off topic. Not an MSE question. (From:Microsoft Security Essentials: Updating Virus and Spyware Definitions)
    • Edited by Stephen BootsMVP, Moderator Wednesday, March 3, 2010 7:44 PM removed URL from subject
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 1:34 AM

All replies

• Internet Explorer 8 automatically blocks this site. If you are using an older version of InternetExplorer you may want to upgrade - http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/default.aspx

Jim
    Microsoft MVP Consumer Security - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 2:30 AM
  • I am using IE 8 and this site was not blocked and still came up.  I have seen a promoworldtrends.com site behave in the same way.  How is this occurring since in the three cases it has happened to me (on three separate machines), I was browsing other sites when it "jumped" to the 94.23.72.48 site?

-NSanin
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 6:47 PM
  • NSanin,

Are you certian that the SmartScreen Filter is enabled?  Under Safety, SmartScreen Filter, the option should be to turn it off if it's already turned on.

If it is on, are you on a low bandwidth (dial-up, etc.) type of connection?  Since SmartScreen Filter must upload the site URL and then get a response, it may not be working quickly enough or may otherwise be damaged in a way that it isn't working properly.

I experienced an initial failure myself when I tried it last night, though it has blocked the site properly every time since then, so it may simply have been a response delay to the original request.

Rob

Wednesday, March 3, 2010 7:20 PM