How to check how many uses I have left on my product key? RRS feed

• Question

• I have Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 and I was wondering if I could check how many uses I have left for my product key. It says it can be used on up to 3 computers, but I don't remember if I've already installed it on my older computer. Is there a way to check how many I have left?

Any help is appreciated :)

Friday, October 15, 2010 6:25 PM

Answers

• Hello pfairclough,

"Up to 3 computer" means up to 3 computers total, at a time. Meaning if you install it in 3 computers, then uninstall it from 1 computer, you can then install it on one more computer.

As long as it's not installed on more then 3 computers at any given time, you are ok.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    Friday, October 15, 2010 7:17 PM
  • Hello pfairclough,

There is no publically available means to check how many times a given Office product key has been activated.

The good news is that Microsoft builds some "wiggle room" into Product Activation to accommodate situations like yours, so just go ahead and install Office H&S 2007 onto your current computer and it will most likely activate without a problem.

If there is a problem, restart the Activation Wizard and choose to activate by Telephone.

Post back to let us know how you do :-)

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, October 21, 2010 10:20 PM
    Saturday, October 16, 2010 1:58 PM

All replies

• Hello pfairclough,

"Up to 3 computer" means up to 3 computers total, at a time. Meaning if you install it in 3 computers, then uninstall it from 1 computer, you can then install it on one more computer.

As long as it's not installed on more then 3 computers at any given time, you are ok.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    Friday, October 15, 2010 7:17 PM
  • I got the software when I had my old computer and may have installed it on there, that computer doesn't turn on anymore so I can't remember if I put it on there. Would all 3 be usuable still if that computer isn't functioning? Or is there a way I can check my key on Microsoft's site or double check how many are left by starting to install it on my current computer.

Thank you for your help :)

Friday, October 15, 2010 7:27 PM
  • Hello pfairclough,

There is no publically available means to check how many times a given Office product key has been activated.

The good news is that Microsoft builds some "wiggle room" into Product Activation to accommodate situations like yours, so just go ahead and install Office H&S 2007 onto your current computer and it will most likely activate without a problem.

If there is a problem, restart the Activation Wizard and choose to activate by Telephone.

Post back to let us know how you do :-)

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, October 21, 2010 10:20 PM
    Saturday, October 16, 2010 1:58 PM