retrieve data from WHS via a different computer RRS feed

• Question

• I recently had a computer crash during a power spike (yes I had protection, for all the good it did me!!!).

I want to retrieve the files that were stored on “computer 1” via another computer (for example “computer 4”).

How do I do this?

During the same power spike I also lost computer 4.  I replaced the motherboard, reinstalled the OS, named it the same as the previous name “computer 4” but was unable to restore files.

So it is basically the same question asked in two different ways: it seems I can’t get access to the date unless I have identical hardware.  The backup doesn’t do me much good if I can’t restore it.

Please advise.

Thursday, September 23, 2010 6:40 PM

All replies

• Others here have much more expertise than I, but my suggestion is to copy everything directly to the new WinHS's storage pool. The catch: you may need a new hard drive on the new computer to start the process.

Hook up one of the old data drives to an SATA port, and an SATA power connector, on the new computer. The drive will show up in Explorer and you'll be able to find the data folders. Copy and Paste to the storage pool. After the data on the old hard drive are copied, it can be added to the storage pool, and the copy/paste process repeated.

Thursday, September 23, 2010 11:32 PM
  • Well, copying from WHS to another WHS needs studying. There is more than meets the eye.

You know , of course, that you can open your backups and restore file by file.

Friday, September 24, 2010 8:15 PM
  • Hi,
    you should be able to restore from backup to any hardware as long as you create the target partitions as a first step (or before) the restore process and have each volume at least in the same size as the original. This still not warrants, that the restored system boots, but this is secondary - troubleshooting depends from the restored OS.

You should also be able to mount backups on any other client PC independend from hardware, after you have installed the Connector software on it (and did not remove the old client from the Console already).

Another case is it, if the backup database is corrupted as well. But this can only be determined if you tell us a more specific error.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, September 24, 2010 8:32 PM