none
Creating folder pairs on separated computers RRS feed

• Question

• I just downloaded the final version of SyncToy 2.0. I never used syncing software before. How do I create folder pairs when the two computers are miles part in my home and offce. I intend to use a USB flash drive for the syncing.

Friday, September 5, 2008 3:16 PM

All replies

• Yes, you would simply have a copy of SyncToy on each of the two computers.  Both of them would point to the USB drive.  After each sync, take the USB drive to the other computer and run the sync to update the files.

Hope that helps you get started.

Liam

Friday, September 5, 2008 6:37 PM
  • I have Synctoy on both computers and I understand moving the UB drive between them, but in creating the folder pairs there is no right folder to go to since it's on the other computer and I can browse to it. I'm probably not understanding this pairing thing.

Friday, September 5, 2008 9:11 PM
  • Hi -

The pairing is simply two folders that you can access at the TIME that you are sync'ing. So assume that you have Comp1, Comp2 and USB. You set it up like this -

1) Install SyncToy 2.0 on both Comp1 and Comp2.

2) Connect USB to Comp1( or maybe start with Comp2) - does not matter and create a FolderPair specifying Left Folder as Comp1\Directory and USB\Directory and select the sync option you want.

3) Unplug USB key when you are done synchronizing and plus it into Comp2. Create a FolderPair specifying Left Folder as Comp2\Direcory and USB\Directory and select the sync option you want.

4) It does NOT matter that both Comp1 and Comp2 are both pointing to the same folder on USB.

I hope this answers your question.

Thanks

Deepa

Saturday, September 6, 2008 12:09 AM
  • Thanks, I'll try it and let you know how I did with it.

Ken

Saturday, September 6, 2008 1:02 PM