none
File Quantity Differences RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, Microsoft Communities!

I am currently using SyncToy 2.0.100.0 on a fully patched Windows Vista Home Premium computer.  (Windows Update reports nothing to download).  

I've had this problem for a while now, but because my data is becoming increasingly valuable, I have the need to ask this question.

I've set up a folder pair with the action of "Echo."  In the options for this sync partnership, the only box that is selected and checked is "Active for run all".  

After SyncToy runs without errors, I right click on the left folder in Windows Explorer and view the number of files and folders and compare it with the right folder in Windows Explorer.  The differences are staggering:

Left Folder: 8,711 files and 1,404 folders
    Right Folder: 8,598 files and 1,404 folders

By the way, this is on a freshly made folder pair... so, where are the missing files?  Also, both drives (the souce and the destination) are both NTFS.  

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

--T.
    Friday, January 2, 2009 7:25 PM

Answers

•  

Am I correct the problem happened in the new folder pair?

We will have to identify which files are not synced.

you can download a windiff.exe, then compare the 2 folders including sub-dirs, it will show which files are identical, which are different, which only exists in one folder etc.
    Monday, January 5, 2009 11:56 PM
    Answerer
  • You can also use which will show you the differences. Check and see what are the different files and see if these were files you expected to be copied over.

robocopy /L <left folder> <right folder>

Thanks

Deepa

Tuesday, January 6, 2009 1:48 AM
  • Good news!  I used windiff.exe to compare the differences between the two folders.  Apart from the .dat files required for SyncToy to run, the 100+ file differences were lots of desktop.ini files and thumbs.db files.

All of the critical files (.docx, .html, .exe, etc) are all being backed up with SyncToy! 

Thank you for all of your help!  I really appreciate it!

Tuesday, January 6, 2009 6:04 PM

All replies

• Echo will sync files from left to right, but anything changed on right side will not be synced to left side.

Please make sure nothing is deleted on the right side.

Also, can you try something else:

Create a new folder and also create a new folder pair which has orginal left side folder as left side and the new folder as right side folder and sync again. See how many files are now in the new folder, (if left folder has 1 more file than right side folder, that's expected because the first folder pair has a extra metadata file in left folder)

If that still shows the similar difference of more than 100 files, you can use dir /S /P to compare the contents of 2 folders and see what's missing, with that information we will try to reproduce the same problem.

Thanks.

Friday, January 2, 2009 10:16 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks, Jin He for your response.

Good definition of echo -- that's what I was anticipating.  

I tried creating a new folder pair and got results that differed by more than 100+ files.  I thought of doing dir /s/p, however, with well over 8,000 files, that could take a better part of my day.  Do you know of any other way?

Thanks!
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 10:20 PM
  •  

Am I correct the problem happened in the new folder pair?

We will have to identify which files are not synced.

you can download a windiff.exe, then compare the 2 folders including sub-dirs, it will show which files are identical, which are different, which only exists in one folder etc.
    Monday, January 5, 2009 11:56 PM
    Answerer
  • You can also use which will show you the differences. Check and see what are the different files and see if these were files you expected to be copied over.

robocopy /L <left folder> <right folder>

Thanks

Deepa

Tuesday, January 6, 2009 1:48 AM
  • Good news!  I used windiff.exe to compare the differences between the two folders.  Apart from the .dat files required for SyncToy to run, the 100+ file differences were lots of desktop.ini files and thumbs.db files.

All of the critical files (.docx, .html, .exe, etc) are all being backed up with SyncToy! 

Thank you for all of your help!  I really appreciate it!

Tuesday, January 6, 2009 6:04 PM