power management RRS feed

• Question

• i am not so sure how microsoft is managing this. but this is what i need. i need my home server to go to sleep when there is nothing to do. i don't want a extra system at home consuming unnecessary power. if the system detects a pc on the network then do an update or what ever the home server has to do but once the remote system is turned off or put to a low power state then home server must follow and go to a reduce power state i don't care if it's sleep state 1 or even suspend to ram.

power in nyc is expensive as well as anywhere in the world. utilise my system power but don't demand to much.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 5:56 PM

All replies

• Agreed, that was one of the concerns of an always on system, and one of the reasons a Laptop might make a good candidate for a WHS (and you get the built in UPS).

One of the things that interest me about the WHS is it's essentially a Windows OS. I haven't checked the Power Options yet, but I'd like to be able to stop Hard Drives and non-essential hardware and go into Standy with Wake on LAN when not in use. It seems like a better option then a NAS or other device that runs the HD 24/7.

Either way, there are no Power configuration options on the WHS Console, and that might be something to consider.
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 6:22 PM
  • I would also like to see further power management options.  I am suprised Al Gore and Richard Branson are not knocking on Microsofts door.  I would hope that power options could be added making it transparent to the user.  Turn on a client wake up the server, client shutdown shutdown the server.

Sunday, March 4, 2007 1:16 PM
  • Yes, you can configure Power Options to spin down the hard drives after a period of inactivity. (I don't guarantee that it will actually do so, but the option is there.) That should work for internal hard drives on a recognized bus. If you have a HBA that masks the real drive type (i.e. the drive looks like a SCSI drive to the OS, when it's really SATA or PATA), or an external drive, you probably won't be able to spin those drives down at all. And starting/stopping a hard drive is when most drive failures occur.

WOL isn't quite as easy as most people think. You can configure a machine to WOL, but the most common implementation is for it to wake up when it receives a "Magic Packet". Attempting to access a share on the WHS won't generate that packet. Some NICs can be configured to wake on any network traffic, but my experience there is that such machines will wake up at seemingly-random times when nobody is really trying to access them, just because they got a broadcast packet. So you will effectively lose most of your power savings.
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 1:44 PM
  • I have to disagree with the statement that WOL isn't as easy as most people think.  A few weekends ago, I sat down to figure out exactly what I would need to do with my network (computers and router) to make WOL work (in preparation for use with WHS when I get one).  For me, the biggest problem was that there is so much disinformation out on the net (like people saying this is tough or impossible coupled with poor documentation of WOL in relation to individual routers/network cards).  The actual setup, if someone on the net would simply write a good guide, would be relatively easy for most people.  The steps, in my case, to get WOL to work were as follows (Windows XP machines):

1.  Change one setting in BIOS (under power management - duh) labeled "Allow PCI devices to power on computer" (A gigabit ethernet card is built in to the motherboard of my computers) - This allows a magic packet to wake computer from Shut Down (S5)

2.  Go to Control Panel - Performance and Maintenance - System - Hardware - Device Manager - Network Adapters - Choose the network adapter - click on the power management tab under the network adapters properties - click all three boxes (This allows the computer to be turned on from standby and hibernate via magic packets)

3.  Download a program like Depicus or PowerOff from the internet, or write your own program to send Magic Packets to the computers you want to turn on (I wrote my own program, which meant I had to learn what exactly a "magic packet" is) - What else do you need to know to get Depicus or whatever to work?  1.  You simply need to know the MAC address of the computer you wish to turn on - This isn't hard: Go to Start - Run - type "cmd" without the quotes - type "ipconfig /all" - the "Physical Address" of the Ethernet adapter is the MAC address. 2. The network broadcast ip of your router - this is usually either 192.168.0.255 or 255.255.255.255 - both work in my case.

That is it - I can now wake my computers from Standby/Hibernate/Shutdown by sending magic packets to the computers on my network.  I  also added the ability to send magic packets from the internet, which additionally required I know my public ip address, and I needed to set 1 port forwarding rule in my router on which to pass the magic packets.  It took me some time to figure this out by rooting through all the various junk on the web - in the end though, it required very little to set up and would have been a 5 minute project had there been a decent guide on the web as to what exactly one needs to do (if there is a good comprehensive guide, then I couldn't find it).

You are right in that attempting to access a share on WHS won't generate a magic packet (even as optimistic as I am, this is way to much to hope for as well), but it would be very easy to simply put a shortcut on the desktop of a computer that by double clicking simply sends a magic packet to WHS to wake.  Personally, I am going to have this work the other way:  Have WHS send magic packets to the computers on my network to wake them for backups in the middle of the night - I prefer to turn my computers off rather than leave them in standby/hibernate.

I also tried the wake on any network traffic - and that was just as crazy as you suggested with computers seemingly waking up randomly (I could wake all the computers on my network by starting a windows live messenger session on just one computer :) )

Sunday, March 4, 2007 5:49 PM
  • Hey Brian have you tested this with wireless clients?
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 6:07 PM
  • WOL can be a pain BUT since WHS has a client on each machine they could simply send a "heartbeat" (which contains the magic packet) when active.  Fair enough this does not solve the remote access but does solve one problem and there will also be a good % of people that never use the remote funtionality.
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 7:35 PM
  • Re Brian.  You are quite right it is as east as that but this is exatly the functionality I would hope that WHS could do transparently so the target audience of this product, who may not buy it at the thought of having to run a server 24/7, do not have to write their own code.
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 7:38 PM