CRM 2011 Limited User CAL Access rights confusion???????????????? RRS feed

• Question

• In the below link :

http://crmdynamics.blob.core.windows.net/docs/Pricing_Licensing_Guide.pdf

In states using API Access and MS Dyn CRM client ? What is the difference between these two, what is internet explorer and outlook  and will the users have to right to create/update/delete/etc custome entity records or create reports or attach and edit sharepoint documents?

thanks

Please vote if I helped out :) thanks all in this forum for helping with any problem i had. Enviroment: ------------ CRM 2011 On-Premise ver:5.0.9688.583 ,Server OS: Windows Server 2008 R2 64bit, Client OS: Windows 7 64bit, Internet Explorer 8 & 9, email router not installed, SQL Server 2008 with reports, different servers for crm and sql(1 server for crm , 1 server for SQL with report and another for the client pc),Office 2007, not the final production system but a development sytem.
    Friday, July 8, 2011 2:29 PM

Answers

• Hi,

API Access mean only access via SDK i.e. you can create ASP.Net (C# console applicaiton, integraiton applicaiton or any other interface that uses CRM SDK webservices) website and that will be only allowed to utlize the licenses.

Microsoft Dynamics CRM client mean only CRM Web and Outlook client (users can access the CRM via Web and Outlook client only), Internet Explorert mean CRM Web Client Access and Outlook means CRM Outlook client access.

In document the security priveleges are mentioned cearly for each of CAL type (In CRM licensing is named user CAL based, which means creating a user will consume 1 license and deactiving the user account will release the assigned CAL)

Jehanzeb Javeed

http://worldofdynamics.blogspot.com
    Linked-In Profile |CodePlex Profile

If you find this post helpful then please "Vote as Helpful" and "Mark As Answer".
    • Proposed as answer by Jehanzeb.Javeed Friday, July 8, 2011 10:15 PM
    • Marked as answer by gokou84san Monday, July 11, 2011 6:10 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by gokou84san Friday, July 15, 2011 2:13 PM
    • Marked as answer by gokou84san Monday, July 18, 2011 6:08 AM
    Friday, July 8, 2011 10:15 PM
  • Hi,

They can not create, update and delete custom entities using CRM web or Outlook client, ( can only do via SDK access) and also can not do the following:

1. Can not crate, update custom entity records using CRM clients (only API will be allowed to create and uodate record)

2. Can not select other entity including lookup fields in custom entity form (only in Custom activity will be allowed to select the other entity lookup field and will be allowed via API)

3. Can not delete custom entity records (allowed via API (pogramatically)

4. Can not assign, share Custom Entity Records (allowed via API (pogramatically) 

They can use both Outlook or CRM web client

Some Desction

The limited CAL addresses the licensing requirements of information workers who rely on familiar office applications combined with Microsoft Dynamics CRM clients to access information and manage work. Limited CAL users have privileges to manage work, assign and share their data with other users in the organization. Additionally, these users have access to powerful reporting capabilities of Dynamics CRM that provide better insights on relationship management using Microsoft Dynamics CRM clients.

• Named user access.
    • Read access to entire Microsoft Dynamics CRM functionality.
    • Manage service cases and activities.
    • Consume business reports.
    • Create, update, assign, and share accounts, contacts, cases, leads, activities
    • Access via Microsoft Dynamics CRM Web and Outlook clients.

if this post answer your quesiton then please Mark as Answer and Vote as Helpful.

Jehanzeb Javeed

If you find this post helpful then please "Vote as Helpful" and "Mark As Answer".
    • Proposed as answer by Jehanzeb.Javeed Friday, July 15, 2011 2:54 PM
    Friday, July 15, 2011 2:54 PM

All replies

• Hi,

API Access mean only access via SDK i.e. you can create ASP.Net (C# console applicaiton, integraiton applicaiton or any other interface that uses CRM SDK webservices) website and that will be only allowed to utlize the licenses.

Microsoft Dynamics CRM client mean only CRM Web and Outlook client (users can access the CRM via Web and Outlook client only), Internet Explorert mean CRM Web Client Access and Outlook means CRM Outlook client access.

In document the security priveleges are mentioned cearly for each of CAL type (In CRM licensing is named user CAL based, which means creating a user will consume 1 license and deactiving the user account will release the assigned CAL)

Jehanzeb Javeed

• Proposed as answer by Jehanzeb.Javeed Friday, July 8, 2011 10:15 PM
    • Marked as answer by gokou84san Monday, July 11, 2011 6:10 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by gokou84san Friday, July 15, 2011 2:13 PM
    Friday, July 8, 2011 10:15 PM
  • Some addition to this question. Does a Limited CAL user have access for write in custom entities for client access(Internet explorer and outlook)? Because what i can understand from the document i have at my first post, for custom entities its only allowed to write/update for only if the limited cal users are using api access and not client.

If that true?

ps:Jehanzeb Javeed i will mark your asnswer again as the right one but i unmarked it to put this question on the same post not to fill the community with extra entries.

Please vote if I helped out :) thanks all in this forum for helping with any problem i had. Enviroment: ------------ CRM 2011 On-Premise ver:5.0.9688.583 ,Server OS: Windows Server 2008 R2 64bit, Client OS: Windows 7 64bit, Internet Explorer 8 & 9, email router not installed, SQL Server 2008 with reports, different servers for crm and sql(1 server for crm , 1 server for SQL with report and another for the client pc),Office 2007, not the final production system but a development sytem.
    Friday, July 15, 2011 2:13 PM
  • Hi,

They can not create, update and delete custom entities using CRM web or Outlook client, ( can only do via SDK access) and also can not do the following:

1. Can not crate, update custom entity records using CRM clients (only API will be allowed to create and uodate record)

2. Can not select other entity including lookup fields in custom entity form (only in Custom activity will be allowed to select the other entity lookup field and will be allowed via API)

3. Can not delete custom entity records (allowed via API (pogramatically)

4. Can not assign, share Custom Entity Records (allowed via API (pogramatically) 

They can use both Outlook or CRM web client

Some Desction

The limited CAL addresses the licensing requirements of information workers who rely on familiar office applications combined with Microsoft Dynamics CRM clients to access information and manage work. Limited CAL users have privileges to manage work, assign and share their data with other users in the organization. Additionally, these users have access to powerful reporting capabilities of Dynamics CRM that provide better insights on relationship management using Microsoft Dynamics CRM clients.

• Named user access.
    • Read access to entire Microsoft Dynamics CRM functionality.
    • Manage service cases and activities.
    • Consume business reports.
    • Create, update, assign, and share accounts, contacts, cases, leads, activities
    • Access via Microsoft Dynamics CRM Web and Outlook clients.

if this post answer your quesiton then please Mark as Answer and Vote as Helpful.

Jehanzeb Javeed

• Proposed as answer by Jehanzeb.Javeed Friday, July 15, 2011 2:54 PM
    Friday, July 15, 2011 2:54 PM
  • Thanks alot  Javeed
    Monday, July 18, 2011 6:17 AM