Add firewall exception through command-line RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to add port/program exceptions in OneCare Firewall through a command-line?  I might deploy it in an Enterprise environment and need a way to manage exceptions of client machines.  The Windows Firewall has NETSH, is there something similar for OneCare?

Thanks 
    Monday, February 2, 2009 11:39 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Jose, One Care is not intended for use in an Enterprise environment. You might take a look at One Care for Server if you have the system requirements. One Care for Server - http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/3/smallbusiness/default.htm but depending on the size of your organization Forefront might be more appropriate - http://www.microsoft.com/forefront/clientsecurity/en/us/default.aspx
    Jim
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 5:31 AM
  • I will add that it would be wise, especially in an Enterprise environment, to not even consider OneCare for Server due to the fact that you'll be removing it and redeploying something else in a year or two - due to OneCare being shelved by the end of 2010 with new installs and renewals being disallowed late in 2009.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 2:56 PM
  • Okay that's good advice.  Does this mean there is no command-line interface for OneCare?

Thanks
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 5:29 PM
  • Sorry, that should already have been mentioned, however, we didn't do that!
    No, there is no command line interface for OneCare configuration, nor can it be configured via Group Policy.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    • Marked as answer by Jose Mesona Tuesday, February 3, 2009 5:56 PM
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 5:34 PM
  • Is there a way to determine in a shell script or application (some API?) if a particular network device is set to Public or Home/Work?

I realize there's probably no way to change the setting but if I can detect it I can at least popup a message to a user from within my application (rather than just fail).

-gw
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 9:58 PM
  • gw, I'm not a developer, so I can't answer your question. However, I believe that there should be a way to obtain that information programmatically, especially in Vista since OneCare looks to Vista for that information and stores it if the network was identified by the user in Vista's network and sharing center. On XP, OneCare needs to prompt as there is no differentiation in XPs basic firewall.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 2:49 PM