none
Synctoy cannot tell 2 different external harddisks RRS feed

• Question

• I have just switched from Synctoy 1.4 to 2.1.  I always have 2 external HD as backup for the same laptop ("My Document" Folder), version 1.4 can clearly tell which is which but after I switched to 2.1, it cannot tell the last backup was on HD-A and only those files changed since last back up was updated on HD-B (despite  HD-B have not been updated for a few weeks).

I did manually copy some files from laptop to the external HDs, I think I have mistakenly copied the log files (or the megadata files?) which are used to keep track of the changes on each HD and caused Synctoy to confuse between the 2 HDs.

I read about changing the pairs on Synctoy to distinguish between the 2 HDs, but before I do that, I want to re-sync the 2 HDs like it is doing it for the first time to make sure no data is lost.  Please advise which files to delete on the 2 HDs so that the log on the laptop can no longer remember them. 

Will deleting all synctoy_xxx.dat files be enough? There is a folder called SyncToyData, sometimes synctoy_xxx.dat is inside this folder, but some .dat files are located outside (just under "My Document" as hidden files). I also found. bin files, a log file and .txt files associated with Synctoy

What else do I need to delete to re-run synctoy as fresh?

BTW, I also experienced substantial slowdown with version 2.0.  The status bar run to about 50% and got stuck there for a few minutes then suddenly jumped out without scanning to the end (feels like it has not finished scanning the whole "My Document" folder).

Shall I just switch back to version 1.4? and is there any changes I need to make since version 2.0 must have files that are not supported by 1.4?

FYI.  I do not have DST in my city, so that should not be a problem.

Thanks

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 5:55 PM

Answers

• Hi Taylor

No, you do not need to assign different drivers to your external harddisks. SyncToy 2.0/2.1 does not care about drive letter any more (with the help from SyncToy_xxx.dat files in sync folders). You just need to locate the folder you want SyncToy to sync at the first time, the current drive letter ("f:\" in your case) will be OK for both of your external harddisks. (That is to say you did nearly the same as if you are creating folder pair by SyncToy 1.4, the only difference is, with SyncToy 2.0, you need to create folder pairs for both HD-A and HD-B.) After your folder pairs created successfully, you can even try inserting both your external harddisks and syncing your laptop with them at the same time!

About the SyncToy_xxx.dat files. Yes, SyncToy 2.0/2.1 created such files, because the mechanism was introduced since v2.0.

And you will notice that a folder may disappeared in multiple folder pairs (your loptop "My Document" Folder, in your case). You can see multiple SyncToy_xxx.dat files in such folders, one for each folder pair. (The SyncToy_xxx.dat files of the 2 sites of the same folder pair must be distinct. Thus in your case, you will have 4 distinct SyncToy_xxx.dat files in 3 folders under 2 folder pairs.)

Thanks

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by TaylorPMY Sunday, May 16, 2010 3:12 PM
    Friday, May 14, 2010 7:07 AM

All replies

• Hi Taylor,

Before you delete the synctoy_xxx.dat files, would you mind list such files in your 3 folders please?

And I am not quite understand "it cannot tell the last backup was on HD-A and only those files changed since last back up was updated on HD-B". Would you please show me more details?

Thanks

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 10:44 AM
  • Hi JiGuang,

The dat file on my laptop (located inside "My Document" Folder): SyncToy_e56cafe6-f05f-4a23-98c3-a7c629d14631.dat

There are 2 dat files on my HD-A (also located inside "My Document" Folder):

SyncToy_e56cafe6-f05f-4a23-98c3-a7c629d14631.dat ( I guess I mistakenly copied this manually from the laptop)

SyncToy_47c38a29-cd0b-4b3b-8cf8-1869d9bf88df.dat

The dat file on my HD-B (also located inside "My Document" Folder):SyncToy_47c38a29-cd0b-4b3b-8cf8-1869d9bf88df.dat (same as that of HD-A)

I always use the same pair to copy C:My Document to F: My Document and I use HD-A and HD-B alternatively.  There seems to be no problem when I use v1.4 but since I use v2.0 I found that some updated file was not back up, this is what actually happened:

I backed up on HD-A 2 weeks ago (so the most updated data on HD-A should be April 30) then I use HD-B to back up again on May 7.  After I modified some files during the weekend (May 8 and 9), I switched back to HD-A and expect quite a number of files to be update since April 30 but in fact, only the files updated on May 8 and 9 showed up on the SyncToy action list.

Look forward to your advise.

Thanks

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 4:09 PM
  • Thank you for the information, Taylor!

I think I find out why your problem happens from it. SyncToy 2.0 considered your HD-A and HD-B as the same device because they have the same SyncToy_xxx file.

Some SyncToy 1.4 users, who had multiple external harddisks or other USB devices, met drive letter problems. That was the drive letter of external harddisk to sync may change if there are other USB devices are inserted to the same computer. For instance, one time the drive letter of a external harddisk might be "e:\", the next time, it might be "f:\" if there are any USB devices had been inserted before the drive letter. SyncToy 1.4 cannot handle this. (Network mapped drives had the same drive letter problem) To resolve such issue, SyncToy intorduced a new mechanism sync version 2.0, that is using SyncToy_xxx.dat files to indicate sync folder, instead of using the fixed initail folder path. And obviously, the restriction is SyncToy 2.0/2.1 would be confused if the same SyncToy_xxx file appear in multiple sync folders. (Please remember that SyncToy saves syncing time and bandwidth by avoid duplicated syncing. Thus if SyncToy considers HD-A and HD-B as the same, the changes which had been synced to HD-A will never be synced to HD-B. ) 

To resolve this issue, you can try deleting related Sync Folder pair from SyncToy, removing all the SyncToy_xxx.dat files in the three folders, creating 2 new Sync Folder paris (one between laptop and HD-A, the other between laptop and HD-B), and then syncing again. This may cost a long time.

It is strongly recommended that you review the sync session first to avoid unexpected deletion.

Thanks.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 2:44 AM
  • Thanks for your explanation. 

As my external drive always appear as drive F, I have no problem with v.1.4 before.  But since now I will need to create 2 new sync folder pairs, do I need to assign 2 different drive names for the 2 HDs (say always assign HD-A to be E drive and HD-B to be F drive) whenever I plug them in?

Out of interest, is .dat file newly created by v.2.0?  cause I am running v.1.4 on another computer and I only get a SyncToyDirectoryId.txt and some .bin files in the SyncToyData folder.

Thanks

Thursday, May 13, 2010 6:48 PM
  • Hi Taylor

No, you do not need to assign different drivers to your external harddisks. SyncToy 2.0/2.1 does not care about drive letter any more (with the help from SyncToy_xxx.dat files in sync folders). You just need to locate the folder you want SyncToy to sync at the first time, the current drive letter ("f:\" in your case) will be OK for both of your external harddisks. (That is to say you did nearly the same as if you are creating folder pair by SyncToy 1.4, the only difference is, with SyncToy 2.0, you need to create folder pairs for both HD-A and HD-B.) After your folder pairs created successfully, you can even try inserting both your external harddisks and syncing your laptop with them at the same time!

About the SyncToy_xxx.dat files. Yes, SyncToy 2.0/2.1 created such files, because the mechanism was introduced since v2.0.

And you will notice that a folder may disappeared in multiple folder pairs (your loptop "My Document" Folder, in your case). You can see multiple SyncToy_xxx.dat files in such folders, one for each folder pair. (The SyncToy_xxx.dat files of the 2 sites of the same folder pair must be distinct. Thus in your case, you will have 4 distinct SyncToy_xxx.dat files in 3 folders under 2 folder pairs.)

Thanks

• Marked as answer by TaylorPMY Sunday, May 16, 2010 3:12 PM
    Friday, May 14, 2010 7:07 AM