Volsnap errors: "the shadow copy storage could not grow in time" and "insufficient non-paged memory pool for a bitmap structure." RRS feed

• Question

• I see these errors in my WHS event log all the time. I also found a KB article and hotfix today that seems to describe my situation: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;833167. Am I on the right track here? Shall I apply the hotfix?

My WHS box is a homebuilt Intel E6550 based system w/ 4GB RAM, 8.2 TB of disk, 3.14TB free, mostly housed in an esata drive enclosure (I still have a number of relatively small (300GB) internal drives that I've never decommisioned). This box backs up 7 machines in my home. The box is kept current on fixes from Windows Update.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 12:19 AM

Answers

• Thanks for the reply. I just hate ignoring red event log items. Is there a way to turn the service off? All the shadow copy "next run time" settngs for my disks are marked as "Disabled."

See KB956325.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 2:40 AM

All replies

• I see these errors in my WHS event log all the time. I also found a KB article and hotfix today that seems to describe my situation: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;833167. Am I on the right track here? Shall I apply the hotfix?

No, it has to do with Shadow Copies (which doesn't work properly on WHS anyway, at least not without some unsupported hacking/tweaking).  Best thing to do is to ignore it.

My WHS box is a homebuilt Intel E6550 based system w/ 4GB RAM, 8.2 TB of disk, 3.14TB free, mostly housed in an esata drive enclosure (I still have a number of relatively small (300GB) internal drives that I've never decommisioned). This box backs up 7 machines in my home. The box is kept current on fixes from Windows Update.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 1:21 AM
  • Thanks for the reply. I just hate ignoring red event log items. Is there a way to turn the service off? All the shadow copy "next run time" settngs for my disks are marked as "Disabled."
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 1:27 AM

See KB956325.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 2:40 AM
  • Thanks. That was easy enough to do. Not sure why vss was left running on my machine; I certainly have installed the update.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 3:18 AM
  • Thanks. That was easy enough to do. Not sure why vss was left running on my machine; I certainly have installed the update.
    There is no downloadable update that automatically turns of VSS.  It's only if your OEM DVD has PP1 (or later) slipstreamed into it.  (Personally, I'm glad I have the RTM version for that reason.  :)  )
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 3:29 AM