Perpetual –rebalancing of hard drives! RRS feed

• Question

• Perpetual –rebalancing of hard drives!

I have recently built a WHS system based on this system here http://projecthtpc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=349

Recently Ihave added further drives, so that the storage pool is based on 4 500 Gb drives and two 750 GB HHD.  S o my system has ~3.2 TB space of which ~2.5 TB is free.

Now my system always seems to be in a state of “balancing hard drives” even when I have not changed the system. as in added any new files etc.

At times, the resources this re-balancing seems to us makes my entire network slow, especially logging on to other Pcs on the network, or trying to access data on the WHS system, even if the data is on a separate drive within the WHS system.

Any thoughts or comments?

Sunday, December 2, 2007 12:22 PM

Answers

All replies

• Have you read http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PageIndex=5&SiteID=50&PageID=5&PostID=2288291#2288291

and

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PageIndex=4&SiteID=50&PageID=4&PostID=2288291#2288291

Marc Moon wrote:

A word of note on the 'Balancing storage' message:

'Balancing storage' is displayed whenever DEmigrator is active. Many things can trigger this, including:

• Migration
    • Repair
    • Chkdsk
    • Promotion
    • Rebalancing
    • Unmigration
    • Duplication
    • Syncing Shadows
    • Directly after reboot

Essentially 'Balancing storage...' means that DEmigrator is running and awake as opposed to only moving files to evenly distribute them across your disks. While DEmigrator is much less aggressive in the OEM release, this message will still appear frequently for the events listed; seeing this message regularly is normal and should not raise immediate concern.

Along with that there is the fact that the status bar in the console interface sometimes fails to update properly.  It will show the 'balancing' status message when it is idle.

Sunday, December 2, 2007 1:13 PM
  •  ARJ_1966 wrote:
    Perpetual –rebalancing of hard drives!

I have recently built a WHS system based on this system here http://projecthtpc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=349

Recently Ihave added further drives, so that the storage pool is based on 4 500 Gb drives and two 750 GB HHD.  S o my system has ~3.2 TB space of which ~2.5 TB is free.

Now my system always seems to be in a state of “balancing hard drives” even when I have not changed the system. as in added any new files etc.

At times, the resources this re-balancing seems to us makes my entire network slow, especially logging on to other Pcs on the network, or trying to access data on the WHS system, even if the data is on a separate drive within the WHS system.

Any thoughts or comments?

It will periodically run whether you've done anything to the server or not.  For me, it usually only lasts a minute or two then stops.  If that is what you are referring to, that's normal.  If it constantly says it's balancing in the console, first thing to do would be to Reset the Windows Home Server Console (occasionally that gets locked up and shows it's balancing when it's really not).

If it still says it's balancing after that, Migrator may be having problems truncating one or more files to reparse points.  You can find out by opening each network share, selecting all files and folders within that share (CTRL + A), right click on them and select Properties.  It will tell you the total number of files in that share.  Multiply that number by 4096 (number of bytes in a reparse point) and compare it to the total bytes shown next to Size on Disk.  If they match, all of the files in that share are correctly truncated and move on to the next share.  If they don't match, then at least one file has not been truncated yet.  At that point, you will need to start going through the folders to find which one(s) are still showing the full size under Size on Disk.  Move those file(s) off the server through the network share, then put them back.  Migrator should then recognize them and shrink them down.  NOTE:  You may have to wait a few minutes after the move is complete before it shows the correct Size on Disk, which should be 4.00 KB (4,096 bytes).

Sunday, December 2, 2007 1:15 PM
  •  

Thanks,

I have found and started t read the first thread, a lot of information to take in.

I will also read the second thread ad do as yousuggest.

Adrian

Sunday, December 2, 2007 2:25 PM