Windows Genuine Advantage Kit CD RRS feed

• Question

• If I was to use the windows genuine Advantage kit cd that is posted to you, Is it the same as an upgrade version, or will I run the risk of loosing data from my current apparently "non genuine version" of windows xp pro. The real question is, is it safe?. Also If I rebuild my system ie. new motherboard, processor or even the operating system hardrive crashes etc. will I have any problems with the genuine version being genuine?
    Sunday, May 14, 2006 4:48 AM

Answers

•  Clevo wrote:
    If I was to use the windows genuine Advantage kit cd that is posted to you, Is it the same as an upgrade version, or will I run the risk of loosing data from my current apparently "non genuine version" of windows xp pro. The real question is, is it safe?. Also If I rebuild my system ie. new motherboard, processor or even the operating system hardrive crashes etc. will I have any problems with the genuine version being genuine?

Clevo:

I believe what you're wondering about is Product Activation, where we attempt to identify a certain Product Key with a certain hardware configuration (http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/mpa.mspx).

You will be fine. Please advise, however, that you will have to do telephone activation if you replace a large amount of hardware. This is an easy process that we've refined much over time, and doesn't take long at all.

-Phil

Sunday, May 14, 2006 6:19 AM

All replies

•  Clevo wrote:
    If I was to use the windows genuine Advantage kit cd that is posted to you, Is it the same as an upgrade version, or will I run the risk of loosing data from my current apparently "non genuine version" of windows xp pro. The real question is, is it safe?. Also If I rebuild my system ie. new motherboard, processor or even the operating system hardrive crashes etc. will I have any problems with the genuine version being genuine?

Clevo:

I believe what you're wondering about is Product Activation, where we attempt to identify a certain Product Key with a certain hardware configuration (http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/mpa.mspx).

You will be fine. Please advise, however, that you will have to do telephone activation if you replace a large amount of hardware. This is an easy process that we've refined much over time, and doesn't take long at all.

-Phil

Sunday, May 14, 2006 6:19 AM
  • Can the windows genuine Advantage kit cd that is posted to you be used for a fresh new windows installation. ie: if you replaced your main hard drive or will it only upgrade/convert your existing non genuine windows. I am trying to decide if it is better to purchase a retail windows xp pro upgrade or the Genuine Advantage kit from your site?

Monday, May 15, 2006 7:48 AM
  • Its the same as retail. :)

The sole purpose of the physical CD is incase you need to reinstall for any reason, you can. :)

Monday, May 15, 2006 4:45 PM