Computer PSU died, fried MB. What are my options regarding Windows 7 License? RRS feed

• Question

• My computer died, I won't go into the details because they aren't really relevant except to state that the hardware is as dead as toast, the magic smoke escaped, and what could be salvaged has been salvaged for the new machine.  I can build a new one, but I want to know if I can carry the Windows 7 forward license to another computer since the old one will never run ANY OS again, much less this specific copy of Windows 7. How lenient is Genuine Validation? Will MS let me transfer the license?
    Saturday, February 5, 2011 7:25 AM

Answers

• A Windows 7 "retail license" can be transferred to a different computer.  A Windows 7 "OEM license" cannot be transferred.
    Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by salmonleap Saturday, February 5, 2011 4:54 PM
    Saturday, February 5, 2011 8:05 AM

All replies

• A Windows 7 "retail license" can be transferred to a different computer.  A Windows 7 "OEM license" cannot be transferred.
    Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by salmonleap Saturday, February 5, 2011 4:54 PM
    Saturday, February 5, 2011 8:05 AM
  • If this was a DIY computer and you bought an OEM copy of Windows from someplace like Tiger Direct then you need to buy a retail copy of Windows.  The OEM license is not valid for the new system if you had to replace the mobo, etc.  The correct license for DIY computers is retail anyway. 

If the Windows came preinstalled on the computer and you replace the mobo with the manufacturer's replacement part you will be fine.  But if you replace it with a new board of your liking you will need to relicense with a retail license.

If you have a full retail copy of Windows you will be fine.

Colin Barnhorst
    Saturday, February 5, 2011 4:32 PM
    Answerer
  • OK Thanks everybody, that's good to know. It sounds like I'm good to go. It's a full retail copy of Windows 7 _not_ an upgrade or OEM copy. I suppose that's why I paid extra for the retail copy in the first place.
    • Edited by salmonleap Saturday, February 5, 2011 5:19 PM
    Saturday, February 5, 2011 4:53 PM
  • Good to hear.  I hope you didn't mind the lengthy response but others read these threads also. 

Colin Barnhorst
    Saturday, February 5, 2011 5:00 PM
    Answerer