none
Constant forum errors. RRS feed

• Question

• Her is one error that is per5sistent.  I have not reported it before beause it is not always easy to see that this is the error,  In most cases it look just like the other errors unless we look at the error messge datails.

While typing the error icon comes on in the status bar.  This is the error:

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; .NET CLR 3.5.21022; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; MS-RTC LM 8; InfoPath.2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; OfficeLiveConnector.1.5; OfficeLivePatch.1.3; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E; MS-RTC EA 2)
    Timestamp: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 09:03:58 UTC

Line: 1
    Char: 86253
    Code: 0
    URI: http://i1.social.s-msft.com/Forums/RequestReduceContent/1d26208030322a4eddd4147a9c4d5475-0c09966f154b72a15c7e25d68f47af9f-RequestReducedScript.js

The offending code is here: RequestReducedScript.js

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 9:13 AM

Answers

• Hi All,

Thanks for your patience. Engineer team is still working on this issue.

If there is any helpful update, I will let you know.

Have a great day, Jundan

Monday, October 8, 2012 8:52 PM
  • UPDATE: I verified the request was sent/recieved. I should hear an answer soon on what the status of the bug request is.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 11:45 PM
  • Do you mind letting us know how you managed to post here finally? This might be helpful for engineer team to troubleshoot this issue. Thanks!

Have a great day, Jundan

It invariably works on the second or third attempt at clicking the 'Submit' button.  Sometimes it is necessary to copy the post to the clipboard, refresh the page and repost the response.

This happens mostly if an edit session takes more than a minute.  Short edit sessions seem to work most of the time.

New -edit...

I will take a while before hitting 'Submit'.  It should cause an error.

No error this tme. - It comes ang goes.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Proposed as answer by Naomi N Wednesday, November 14, 2012 8:03 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jundan Wu Wednesday, November 14, 2012 8:06 PM
    • Edited by jrv Wednesday, November 14, 2012 8:07 PM
    Wednesday, November 14, 2012 8:02 PM

All replies

• The offending code is here: RequestReducedScript.js

That Char offset looked bogus to me.   You can use Developer Tools to see that it is obfuscated code--1 line and capture it.   But when I try to use my trick of using Notepad with Status Bar enabled (only possible when Word Wrap is off) it seems there are (according to Notepad) multiple lines, so the trick won't work.   I can do the same thing with PowerShell ISE in a Script Edit pane but I don't know how to measure a line there...

Oops. I think I just uttered a magic word...

PS C:\> (Get-Clipboard).Length

So maybe not bogus after all?

Could you try using the Script Debugger with Break on All?   That would at least give you some context for that character offset.

Otherwise I don't know how to map (easily) a character offset to a line of code.   PowerShell ISE Editor has a Go to Line command but it doesn't have a Go to Column command and as I indicated it doesn't have the equivalent of Notepad's View Status Bar.   (I qualified that with "easily" because I think I could find a substring context for that offset and then try to pattern match in the Developer Tools View, Source, Original to find a script context but I would rather not try to do that.)

HTH

Robert
    ---

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 3:54 PM
  • I am not interested in debugging forum code.  I do not have all of teh bits needed and the js is compacted so ther is no way to read it easily.

The developers can force the error.  It happens very frequently.  It happens on almost every post on almost any machine not running IE9 or later.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 4:17 PM
  • Is this a bug and a request to fix it?

If so, could you write it up like a bug...

• User includes x.
      • Because of y, z happens.
      • If forums did a, then y wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 9:05 PM
  • Ed - here is pretty much all of that and more.

User includes x is -> While typing

Becasue of y,z happens -> Because user is typing  the error icon comes on in the status bar. 

This is the error displayed in the 'Error' icon on the status bar.

Webpage error details User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; .NET CLR 3.5.21022; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; MS-RTC LM 8; InfoPath.2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; OfficeLiveConnector.1.5; OfficeLivePatch.1.3; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E; MS-RTC EA 2) Timestamp: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 09:03:58 UTC Message: Unknown runtime error Line: 1 Char: 86253 Code: 0 URI: http://i1.social.s-msft.com/Forums/RequestReduceContent/1d2620803
    0322a4eddd4147a9c4d5475-0c09966f154b72a15c7e25d68f47af9f
    -RequestReducedScript.js

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 10:26 PM
  • Any trigger? Just typing? Any specific forums, branding, pasting, formatting, etc.?

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 11:37 PM
  • Any trigger? Just typing? Any specific forums, branding, pasting, formatting, etc.?

Thanks!

That is it. It happens at any time. It occurs in clusters.  It happens mostly on the "ITCG" forum but maybe that is because I spend most of my time there.

Today this hasn't happened.  Yesterday it happened repeatedly.

No specific input.  It can happen in the first 10 or so keystrokes or wait until nearly a hundred keystrokes.

I have watched this fo nearly a year now.  I suspect it has to do with the distribution servers.  If it was abug in the code it would happen more regularly.

What if there is an error when we switch servers due to an outage or network reconfiguration.  This might be how it happens. This could indicate an error in the underlying sysem software although it could be just bad coding.

The error message I posted would be one step towards discovering what and why.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 12:15 AM

• There are some server error screenshots posted in this thread for anyone interested.

(note the dates - it comes in clusters).

Justin - that is another class of error that is not realted to teh forumsoftware but is about the servers that are running the software.  It is not realted to this error.  It happens periodiaclly.  Usually when the software has been updated or there is server maintenance.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thursday, September 27, 2012 2:20 AM
  • Latest error mesages while posting have changed a bit.  This happens when "submitting" a new response.

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; .NET CLR 3.5.21022; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; MS-RTC LM 8; InfoPath.2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; OfficeLiveConnector.1.5; OfficeLivePatch.1.3; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E; MS-RTC EA 2)
    Timestamp: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 02:16:53 UTC

Char: 66883
    URI: http://i1.social.s-msft.com/Forums/RequestReduceContent/699084375aaf2988b57ab13cc79251cc-0c09966f154b72a15c7e25d68f47af9f-RequestReducedScript.js

Char: 66883
    URI: http://i1.social.s-msft.com/Forums/RequestReduceContent/699084375aaf2988b57ab13cc79251cc-0c09966f154b72a15c7e25d68f47af9f-RequestReducedScript.js

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thursday, September 27, 2012 2:21 AM
  • Justin - yes those are the kinds of error.  Click on the error icon and dialog will open eith teh erro details.  Youcan click "copy" to copy to the clipboard.

You do not need to delete anything.  If you can capture your error it might be useful to see it pasted here.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thursday, September 27, 2012 2:55 AM
  • OK, I'm going to reboot Vista+IE8, then transcribe that post to the Community Sandbox and edit it there.

I usually post images and links, then re-edit the posts a lot before I'm satisfied with them.  The error literally almost always happens at some point.

But now that I'm going to deliberately try to provoke it, it probably won't happen.

Thursday, September 27, 2012 2:59 AM
  • New spam software is in the sandbox! Awesome!

You have to prove you're a real community member before you can post images or links.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Thursday, September 27, 2012 3:39 AM
  • Just use COpy Error Details and paste the error as text.

The position is proably irellevant out side of a debugger.

The code is erroring in teh same scritp and the same location so it is the same error that I and others are getting.

Thanks for posting the info.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Edited by jrv Thursday, September 27, 2012 9:33 AM
    Thursday, September 27, 2012 7:53 AM

• I just deleted my previous post, which apparently got in the way of my earlier one so you didn't see it.  Take a look now at the closest screenshot above.  In the blue highlighted area.

The blue highlighted area shows the exact same error info as your OP

• Unknown runtime error
    • Line 1
    • Char 86253
    • Code 0
    • RequestReduceContent  (RequestReducedScript.js)

Thursday, September 27, 2012 12:40 PM
  • Justin - yes I know it is identical.  It happens to almost everybody.  It has also been reported as a bug if you read Ed's posts above.

I have tested on WIn7 and IE9

YOu on Vista and IE8

I on XP and IE8 and on WS2003 and IE8.

I have not tested on IE10 or on WS2008 yet.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thursday, September 27, 2012 1:40 PM
  • It happens to almost everybody.

Doing what?   If you can make it occur (even if only frequently) post a suggested repro procedure.   If we had that I would be willing to try the Script Debugger to see if there are any clues from the source at that breakpoint.   There might be some insight available that way which would enable a workaround to be devised and used until the code would be corrected.

---

Thursday, September 27, 2012 2:43 PM
  • It happens to almost everybody.

Doing what?   If you can make it occur (even if only frequently) post a suggested repro procedure.   If we had that I would be willing to try the Script Debugger to see if there are any clues from the source at that breakpoint.   There might be some insight available that way which would enable a workaround to be devised and used until the code would be corrected.

---

Robert - you are a litle late to teh party.  We have defied the procedures above for repeating this and have reports of the systems it occurs on. 

I have reported this bug in other posts here for about the last 6 months.  So far no fix and yet dozens are seeing it happen.

Periodicall while typing the error occurs and the reply edit can become unusable.  It will nearly always hAppen if we go back in the text and edit or correct or attempt to bold or italicize.

The problem comes in bursts.  It will not happen for hours then it will happen repeatedly on every post.  Rebooting or any other actions do not seem to have an effect.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thursday, September 27, 2012 3:32 PM
  • We have defied the procedures above for repeating this and have reports of the systems it occurs on. 

It will nearly always hAppen if we go back in the text and edit or correct or attempt to bold or italicize.

Not really IMO but that may help.   So, are you now agreeing that IE8 is a requirement for this "repro" procedure?  Previously I thought you were implying that I could see it on IE9 too?   FWIW if I have to try with IE8 that will be more difficult, e.g. I still haven't got my XPsp3 VM connected to the Internet and I can only use my mother's XP once a week.

The problem comes in bursts.  It will not happen for hours then it will happen repeatedly on every post.  Rebooting or any other actions do not seem to have an effect.

Then surely during one of those "bursts" you could try using the Script Debugger and find out what line that error occurs on?

BTW as a test of the new "repro procedure" I tried underlining the word "line" above.   NTF.

HTH

Robert
    ---

Thursday, September 27, 2012 5:21 PM
  • Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/4.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; .NET4.0C)
    Timestamp: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 17:32:07 UTC

Robert, why not just un-install IE9 from your W7 PC.  Then IE8 will default.  I know you know how.  Repeat after me.  I want to.
    Thursday, September 27, 2012 5:32 PM
  • Ironically, immediately after pasting the screenshot there, I again couldn't move the cursor anywhere to type any text.  Then suddenly, while just clicking around, I noticed Error on pageappear.  Just like that.

Maybe that's why I never see this?   I never "just click around".   E.g. when I delete too much that I lose the last <br /> I just press Ctrl-z and try something else more precise or, as you mentioned, give up and resort to the HTML tab.   However, since I post mostly in Answers, where there is no HTML tab to fall back on, I find that I very rarely do that even here.

BTW I had a good challenge getting rid of your  Div Style Width box using just the keyboard.    ;  }

---

Thursday, September 27, 2012 5:47 PM
  • Ironically, immediately after pasting the screenshot there, I again couldn't move the cursor anywhere to type any text.  Then suddenly, while just clicking around, I noticed Error on pageappear.  Just like that.

Maybe that's why I never see this?   I never "just click around".   E.g. when I delete too much that I lose the last <br /> I just press Ctrl-z and try something else more precise or, as you mentioned, give up and resort to the HTML tab.   However, since I post mostly in Answers, where there is no HTML tab to fall back on, I find that I very rarely do that even here.

BTW I had a good challenge getting rid of your  Div Style Width box using just the keyboard.    ;  }

---

Robert - please go back and read the thread crarfully,  I have clearly posted that it is repeatable on IE7, IE8, IE9 Vista/XP/Windows 7 and WS2003.

I have not rested it on WS2008 or Windows 8 or with IE10.

ONe problem that we are no haviong with this thread is that it is a plyground.  I stated this more than a month ago to get some attention for these error.  Since then you and other keep asking the exact same set of wuestion but never stop to read teh answers.

The problem is repeatable by many people with many different systems. If you are not working withteh developmemt team or are not able to place a bug report on thiws then please stop asking questions.  The thread will just get worse.

Justin- - your corroborating information was useful.  We do not need more. The clipboard paste says it all.  It has all of the bits about the system and the error. There is no need for lots of pictures.

Robert - forget about workaraounds.  We have two other threads her and have been over that.  There are no work arounds.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thursday, September 27, 2012 6:01 PM
  • Justin- - your corroborating information was useful.  We do not need more. The clipboard paste says it all.  It has all of the bits about the system and the error. There is no need for lots of pictures.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hmmmm.....

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thursday, September 27, 2012 7:25 PM
  • why not just un-install IE9 from your W7 PC.

@ Justin

If I wasn't interested enough in the problem to bother trying to infer a line number from the offset, I could hardly be expected to do that instead.   ;  )

However, since the name of the containing file seems to have changed and the offset is now different but the length is not (?) I got curious enough to find that setting a breakpoint on the

do s.insertBefore() inside  function cr(n,i,u)  is reporting the same offset.   Strangely there is no line number reported there, just the 65610 offset as a tooltip in the Breakpoints list.

So, this would suggest that "just clicking around", especially when you are inserting unusual HTML and images, might be a good thing to avoid doing.   <eg>

FYI

Robert
    ---
    Thursday, September 27, 2012 7:41 PM
  • Robert

This is not a problem caused by clicking around.  It is complete reproducible.

It happens at time after typing only  a few characters.  There are a couple of manifestations.  Both are repeatable.  The second of the errors usually occurs when trying to save a post.

The problem is extremely well defined.  I have run this under the debugger and have inspected the code.  The issue is clearly bad pointer arithmetic in the JS module.

The number being generate to normalize the position of the insertion point within the text is getting set to a location outside of the page.  At other time it is a negative value and causes an argument error.

It cannot be fixed and there is no work-around.  It is just a bug.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thursday, September 27, 2012 8:05 PM

• I could have sworn I saw a +1 vote for your post yesterday, jrv.

But now its not there.  Was I mistaken?

So I peeked into your profile.  A vote was definitely recorded.  See?

In fact, the statistics in the right column of this thread actually show 2 votes.

Yet not a single one appears anywhere in this whole thread sequence now.

How can this be?

Maybe somebody later cast a negative vote (-1) to cancel out the first one.

Friday, September 28, 2012 7:42 PM
  • Not a problem.

I really want to try and get more people to post the same error(s) and not have this just be a gripe thread.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Friday, September 28, 2012 7:50 PM

• I have clearly posted that it is repeatable on IE7, IE8, IE9 Vista/XP/Windows 7 and WS2003.

I have not rested it on WS2008 or Windows 8 or with IE10.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've test-edited a number of posts with IE9,  but can't provoke the status bar   Error on page.

At least, not anymore.  I think it used to happen for me all the time.  But it still happens easily with IE8.

Are you sure you're still seeing it with IE9?

Sunday, September 30, 2012 11:06 PM
  • UPDATE: I verified the request was sent/recieved. I should hear an answer soon on what the status of the bug request is.

Thanks!

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 11:45 PM
  • Michael/Justin/Derosnec,

Could you please not post as many times and so many pictures? You're hijacking JRV's thread.

Thanks!

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 11:49 PM
  • Hi jrv and All,

Ed had submitted this issue to us.

Because currently I can’t reproduce this issue, can you please provide the reproduce steps and answer the following questions so we can pass this to production team? Thanks in advance for your understanding!

• Provide an example of forum URL from which you can see this issue?
      • Can you provide us an example of what you are trying (while you see this error) if possible? It can happen in the first 10 or so keystrokes or wait until nearly a hundred keystrokes, right? What browser (version) you were in while you see this issue? Please provide screenshot if possible.
      • Do you get errors while trying to submit a response? If yes, What browser (version) you were in? Please provide screenshot if possible.

Have a great day, Jundan

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 1:31 AM
  • Hi jrv and All,

Ed had submitted this issue to us.

Because currently I can’t reproduce this issue, can you please provide the reproduce steps and answer the following questions so we can pass this to production team? Thanks in advance for your understanding!

• Provide an example of forum URL from which you can see this issue?
      • Can you provide us an example of what you are trying (while you see this error) if possible? It can happen in the first 10 or so keystrokes or wait until nearly a hundred keystrokes, right? What browser (version) you were in while you see this issue? Please provide screenshot if possible.
      • Do you get errors while trying to submit a response? If yes, What browser (version) you were in? Please provide screenshot if possible.

Have a great day, Jundan

Hi Jundan -

All of this is available in this thread and in others.  NO! I will not repeat this ever again and I really don' t give a damn if it is never fixed.

If Microsoft wants to put up with this level of amatuer nonsense then good. I give up.  If you cannot read what has been posted then you need to get a different job.  This is the third time that a line of posts on this topic have ended with some idiot asking for the same amount of idiotic bits of information

I worked and managed field service and customer suppot/help desk operations for long enough to know all of these games.  Historically MS has never officially played this card.  Recently it seems to be the way to go. I suspect it is some lame method infecting us from third party vendors like the ones who maintain the software for this forum.

If you have no intention of figuring out this problem then just go away without any political CYA lists of requests. Just go away.

Sorry - but I give up on this.  I can see not that this forum will never be fixed.  It is just anoth er Windows ME.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 3:43 AM
  • Because currently I can’t reproduce this issue

@ Jundan

Surely it is evident that this is not a consistently reproducible symptom?   Can't you take the symptom details and give the people who see them something more specific to do to help you identify a cause?

FWIW I have managed to get my XP VM connected (XPsp3 + IE8),  so I will try using that to see if I can interpret the "repro procedure" (such as it is) correctly and at least experience this symptom myself.

However, notice that the OP is also claiming that he can use a debugger to prove a programming bug?  I would think you could ask for details about that part of this problem too.

BTW I hope Justin is not driven away by showing how prevalent this symptom and other errors in the editor can be for him.   I think his contributions to this thread have been very valuable.  They demonstrate that there is something that needs to be at least analyzed, even if you can't be given a pristine "repro procedure" that MS seems to always want when there are problem symptoms that need addressing.

FYI

Robert
    ---

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 5:29 AM

@ Justin

Do you have your div width= (oversize) image in each post that has this symptom?   And do you click or use the keyboard before it happens?  I think it might help to work with the hypothesis that the pointer is getting lost either due to mouse clicks or due to outsized elements being inserted or both.  Also, jrv, I'm not suggesting that these are the only factors which may cause this, just hopefully ones which could make it occur more easily.

Robert
    ---

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 5:46 AM
  • Hi All,

Thanks for the clarification. Engineer team is looking into this.

I will keep you posted of any update.

Have a great day, Jundan

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 3:25 PM
  • Hi All,

Thanks for your patience. Engineer team is still working on this issue.

If there is any helpful update, I will let you know.

Have a great day, Jundan

Monday, October 8, 2012 8:52 PM
  • Hi Irv,

Sorry for not updating you in such a long time as engineer team is still working on this issue.

Thanks for your understanding!

Have a great day, Jundan

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 6:16 PM
  • Hi Irv,

Sorry for not updating you in such a long time as engineer team is still working on this issue.

Thanks for your understanding!

Have a great day, Jundan

I am still getting constant message box with "Message from Web Page - Unexpected error!"

See: This happened when I hit submit on this reply.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 6:36 PM
  • Thanks, I had forwarded your above post to engineer team. Hope they can get the whole issue fixed as soon as possible.

Have a great day, Jundan

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 7:08 PM
  • Do you mind letting us know how you managed to post here finally? This might be helpful for engineer team to troubleshoot this issue. Thanks!

Have a great day, Jundan

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 7:30 PM

Have a great day, Jundan

It invariably works on the second or third attempt at clicking the 'Submit' button.  Sometimes it is necessary to copy the post to the clipboard, refresh the page and repost the response.

This happens mostly if an edit session takes more than a minute.  Short edit sessions seem to work most of the time.

New -edit...

I will take a while before hitting 'Submit'.  It should cause an error.

No error this tme. - It comes ang goes.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Proposed as answer by Naomi N Wednesday, November 14, 2012 8:03 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jundan Wu Wednesday, November 14, 2012 8:06 PM
    • Edited by jrv Wednesday, November 14, 2012 8:07 PM
    Wednesday, November 14, 2012 8:02 PM
  • I have the same problem, usually on my first reply to the thread in the morning. It goes better during the day, say, today I only had a few of such errors.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 8:03 PM
  • Thanks, Irv and Naomi.

Have a great day, Jundan

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 8:08 PM