Activated Office won't validate RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have Office XP which I activated in Jan 2002, and have run successfully ever since.  I never had any problem using the Office update site

until this week when all of sudden it says Office is not activated.  I don't have any problem with the Windows Update site.  I am using the same

computer and was able to access the Office Update site as recently as 1/20/07.  Since then I installed updates MS07-014, MS07-015 and

MS06-054 by downloading them onto a flash drive at the library ( I only have a slow dial-up)  and then installing them on my computer. 

When I encountered the validation failure I removed these updates using Add or Remove Programs Tool.  This did not solve the problem.

On the M/S Office validation issues site I found the suggestion to delete the Data.dat file and try again to activate.  I did this and was able to open

the activation wizard.  I sucessfullly activated, went  back to the update site and was told again that I wasn't activated.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Office Genuine Advantage Results Report

Validation Incomplete: Unable to collect enough information about your PC to make a determination. 

Reasons this PC Failed

Microsoft Office XP Small Business

The validation process could not be completed because your copy of Microsoft Office has not been activated.

To activate Microsoft Office, start any Office application. The activation wizard will walk you through the steps required to activate Office.

If you have problems with activation visit: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828958/en. If you are unable to activate Microsoft Office, you

may be a victim of software piracy.

Actual Data Gathered

OS Version:  5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom

Manufacturer:  Dell Computer Corporation 

Model:  DIM4400 

PID:  55277-OEM-2111907-00102

Automatically Gathered: 3/10/2007

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I checked the Office programs and they all reported they are activated, so I went to

http://www.microsoft.com/Genuine/diag/RunDiags.aspx?displayLang=en

which switched me to: http://www.microsoft.com/Genuine/downloads/Error.aspx?displaylang=en

and gave this report:

"Error

A problem has been encountered during the Microsoft Genuine Advantage validation process. Due to technical difficulties, we are unable to determine whether your operating system is genuine at this time. Please return later to complete the validation process."

[0x80080100]

-------------------------------------------------------------------

When I went back the next day the diagnostics ran and reported every thing OK.   I clicked the "validate Office" button and again it failed for exactly the same reasons.

What now?

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):

-----------------------------------------

WGA Data-->

Validation Status: Genuine

Detailed Status: N/A

Windows Product Key: *****-*****-GD6GR-K6DP3-4C8MT

Windows Product Key Hash: s2kt66ZJWfV4nS1wFD5F9bxTSDw=

Windows Product ID: 55277-OEM-2111907-00102

Windows Product ID Type: 2

Windows License Type: OEM SLP

Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom

ID: 431da0b5-5681-4963-b849-c8d99078495b

Is Admin: Yes

AutoDial: Yes

Registry: 0x0

WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.17.0

Signed By: Microsoft

Product Name: N/A

Architecture: N/A

Build lab: N/A

TTS Error: N/A

Validation Diagnostic:

Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->

Cached Result: 0

File Exists: Yes

Version: 1.7.17.0

WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft

WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->

Office Status: 100 Genuine

OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0

Signed By: Microsoft

Office Diagnostics: E2AD56EA-344-8009_E2AD56EA-345-2ee7_16E0B333-57-80004005_B4D0AA8B-910-80004005

Browser Data-->

Proxy settings:

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)

Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe

Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt

Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled

Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed

Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled

Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled

Active scripting: Allowed

Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>431da0b5-5681-4963-b849-c8d99078495b</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-4C8MT</PKey><PID>55277-OEM-2111907-00102</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-448539723-2000478354-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation      </Manufacturer><Model>DIM4400                        </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Intel Corp.</Manufacturer><Version>A00</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20011112000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>Dell System,Dell Computer,Dell System,Dell System</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>3C03308F0184C05E</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Pacific Standard Time(GMT-08:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>    <Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91130409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office XP Small Business</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>C3E3676BE6DC80</Val><Hash>oRXIEjgTaNZbHbZjmn0KDgAhGbY=</Hash><Pid>54188-OEM-1790515-45920</Pid><PidType>4</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

-------------------------------------------------------

-3/13/07  2040 hr                                               

Monday, March 12, 2007 5:11 PM

Answers

• Kenny-Bob,

Some activation problems indicate your license file is corrupted for Microsoft Office 2003 or for Microsoft Office XP. If the license file is corrupted, you cannot resolve the problem by removing and then reinstalling the Office product. The license file is not removed when you remove the Office product. Additionally, the file is not overwritten when you reinstall the Office product. Another symptom of a corrupted license file is a failure to successfully pass Office Genuine Advantage validation. If the license file is corrupted, use the following methods to delete the license file for Office 2003.

1. Click Start, click Run, type C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Data, and then click OK.

NOTE:  The application data file may be hidden. Use the Tools drop down menu and follow:>Folder Options->View->Hidden Files and Folders->Show Hidden Files and Folders to show the folder. Please re-hide the files once you have completed all the steps.

2. Right-click the Opa11.dat file, and then click Delete.

IMPORTANT:  DO NOT DELETE THE OPA11.bak FILE.

3. Close the folder.

4. Start an Office XP program to start the Office XP Activation Wizard.

The following Knowledge Base Articles can provide more information for Office Activation issues: 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903275/en-us

Did this work?  I look forward to the outcome at your earliest opportunity.

Thank you,
    Stephen Holm
    OGA Forum Manager,
    Stephen MS

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 11:54 PM
  • Stephen,

The only files I have in the DATA directory are DATA.BAK and data.dat.  I am showing hidden files.  There is no Opa11.dat file. 

As I said in my post I did delete the data.dat file and was then able to start the Activation Wizard and successfully activated my Office, but since you suggested this action I tried it again.

Activation was successful,

(NOTE that the Diagnostic Report says;

OGA Version: Registered 1.6.21.0)

but at Office Update validation again produced the same result:

Validation Incomplete: Unable to collect enough information about your PC to make a determination.

Thank you for attempting to validate Microsoft Office. Below is a report that will help you understand why your copy of Microsoft Office could not be validated.

Reasons this PC Failed

* Microsoft Office XP Small Business

o The validation process could not be completed because your copy of Microsoft Office has not been activated.

Actual Data Gathered

OS Version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom

Manufacturer:     Dell Computer Corporation

Model:            DIM4400

PID:        55277-OEM-2111907-00102

Automatically Gathered: 3/24/2007

I checked the Office programs and they all reported they are activated, so I went to

I ran the diagnostics which reported every thing OK.   I clicked the "validate Office" button and again it failed for exactly the same reasons.

I read KBA 903275  but found nothing.  As you can see I don’t get any of the error messages discussed in the KBA.

Any more suggestions?

Sunday, March 25, 2007 8:09 PM
  •  

I have tried turning off my firewall to see if that would enable the collection of more information about my computer, but that didn’t make any diffeence.

What does “Unable to collect enough information about your PC to make a determination” mean?

What more than the “Actual Data Gathered” is necessary?

Thursday, March 29, 2007 5:50 PM
  • Kenny-Bob,

Please try and telephone activate your Office Suite. 

1) Start any Office program.
    2) In the “Office Activation Wizard”, click the “Activate by using the Internet” option, and then click “Next”.
    3) Read the Microsoft Office Privacy Policy page, and then click “Next”.
    4) On the Customer Information page, type your personal information.

The only information that you have to complete is the Country/Region option. Select the appropriate country from the list, type any other information that you want, and then click “Next”.
    5) On the “Special Offers” page, you have three choices to obtain information and offers from Microsoft.

None of these options is selected by default. If you want to receive the information or offers from Microsoft, select the options that you want, type your e-mail address, and then click “Submit.
    6) When you click “Submit”, your information is sent to the Microsoft licensing servers.

When your information is validated, the “Activation Complete” page appears, and you can use the Office programs without having to activate Office in the future. Click “Finish”.

Thank you,
    Stephen Holm
    OGA Forum Manager,
    Stephen MS

Thursday, April 12, 2007 9:18 PM

All replies

• Kenny-Bob,

Some activation problems indicate your license file is corrupted for Microsoft Office 2003 or for Microsoft Office XP. If the license file is corrupted, you cannot resolve the problem by removing and then reinstalling the Office product. The license file is not removed when you remove the Office product. Additionally, the file is not overwritten when you reinstall the Office product. Another symptom of a corrupted license file is a failure to successfully pass Office Genuine Advantage validation. If the license file is corrupted, use the following methods to delete the license file for Office 2003.

1. Click Start, click Run, type C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Data, and then click OK.

NOTE:  The application data file may be hidden. Use the Tools drop down menu and follow:>Folder Options->View->Hidden Files and Folders->Show Hidden Files and Folders to show the folder. Please re-hide the files once you have completed all the steps.

2. Right-click the Opa11.dat file, and then click Delete.

IMPORTANT:  DO NOT DELETE THE OPA11.bak FILE.

3. Close the folder.

4. Start an Office XP program to start the Office XP Activation Wizard.

The following Knowledge Base Articles can provide more information for Office Activation issues: 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903275/en-us

Did this work?  I look forward to the outcome at your earliest opportunity.

Thank you,
    Stephen Holm
    OGA Forum Manager,
    Stephen MS

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 11:54 PM
  • Stephen,

The only files I have in the DATA directory are DATA.BAK and data.dat.  I am showing hidden files.  There is no Opa11.dat file. 

As I said in my post I did delete the data.dat file and was then able to start the Activation Wizard and successfully activated my Office, but since you suggested this action I tried it again.

Activation was successful,

(NOTE that the Diagnostic Report says;

OGA Version: Registered 1.6.21.0)

but at Office Update validation again produced the same result:

Thank you for attempting to validate Microsoft Office. Below is a report that will help you understand why your copy of Microsoft Office could not be validated.

Reasons this PC Failed

* Microsoft Office XP Small Business

o The validation process could not be completed because your copy of Microsoft Office has not been activated.

Actual Data Gathered

OS Version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom

Manufacturer:     Dell Computer Corporation

Model:            DIM4400

PID:        55277-OEM-2111907-00102

Automatically Gathered: 3/24/2007

I ran the diagnostics which reported every thing OK.   I clicked the "validate Office" button and again it failed for exactly the same reasons.

I read KBA 903275  but found nothing.  As you can see I don’t get any of the error messages discussed in the KBA.

Any more suggestions?

Sunday, March 25, 2007 8:09 PM
  •  

I have tried turning off my firewall to see if that would enable the collection of more information about my computer, but that didn’t make any diffeence.

What does “Unable to collect enough information about your PC to make a determination” mean?

What more than the “Actual Data Gathered” is necessary?

Thursday, March 29, 2007 5:50 PM
  • Kenny-Bob,

Please try and telephone activate your Office Suite. 

1) Start any Office program.
    2) In the “Office Activation Wizard”, click the “Activate by using the Internet” option, and then click “Next”.
    3) Read the Microsoft Office Privacy Policy page, and then click “Next”.
    4) On the Customer Information page, type your personal information.

The only information that you have to complete is the Country/Region option. Select the appropriate country from the list, type any other information that you want, and then click “Next”.
    5) On the “Special Offers” page, you have three choices to obtain information and offers from Microsoft.

None of these options is selected by default. If you want to receive the information or offers from Microsoft, select the options that you want, type your e-mail address, and then click “Submit.
    6) When you click “Submit”, your information is sent to the Microsoft licensing servers.

When your information is validated, the “Activation Complete” page appears, and you can use the Office programs without having to activate Office in the future. Click “Finish”.

Thank you,
    Stephen Holm
    OGA Forum Manager,
    Stephen MS

Thursday, April 12, 2007 9:18 PM