can't make my windows xp genuine because of geographical location RRS feed

• Question

• hello, i have a problem. i asked a question about lost the product key and its solved and it found me my product key and i activated my windows but when i try to validate it through microsoft's "validate your windows" it says

"The product key used to activate Windows on your PC is not authorized for sale or use in the country or geographic area in which you are currently located. Not to worry, we can help you with that."

sorry about the size of the text.

i live in india and the product key im using was given to me by a friend from U.S.. Can i run my PC because its activated or i have to buy new windows? plz give me a way that doesn't include buying new windows because its very expensive

• Edited by 09eragera09 Wednesday, September 12, 2012 8:36 AM
    Wednesday, September 12, 2012 8:35 AM

Answers

• The Windows XP product key he sent you belongs to an organization (a larger business, educational institution, or governmental agency) that puchased the license to use the key from Microsoft.

That is what this line means:  Windows License Type: Volume  Volume licenses are not for individual consumers like you, just for organizations.

In this case the organization that is paying for the license has agreed to let Microsoft block the key when activation is attempted with the key outside of a certain geographical area.  That's what this means:  Validation Status: Geographically blocked PID  You mentioned you are in India, so we can conclude that India is outside of the approved geographical area for this product key.

Looking at your installation of Office, the same thing applies:  it is a volume license so you as an individual consumer are not supposed to be using it.

This part of the report for Office tells us it is a volume license, too:  Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007</Name><Ver>12</Ver><Val>789C399EC99F586</Val><Hash>Fs/jR4bCWbXdzPKO+tybM895nEI=</Hash><Pid>89409-707-4157945-65151</Pid><PidType>14</

The keys are for the exclusive use of the organization that is paying for them.  No one else is supposed to use the keys, if they do, it's just like stealing.  It looks like your former friend stole the product key and sent it to you, but now that the owning organization and Microsoft have discovered it has been compromised, they have blocked it from activation.

The report says that you have a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop. Look on the bottom of the laptop or in the battery compartment, does the computer have a Certificate of Authenticity for Windows affixed to it? If so, that CoA tells you what version and edition of Windows the computer is licensed to run. If the CoA says the computer is licensed to run Windows XP Pro, then you might be able to genuine-ize the installation of Windows on the computer by running the product key updater and enter the product key on the CoA into the updater.  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/help/genuine/product-key

If there is no CoA, then the computer is not licensed to run Windows...you will have to purchase a license.  You should also uninstall the volume license of Office on your computer and purchase and install a legitimate consumer license for Office.

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 3:45 PM

All replies

• A US copy of Windows should have no problem activating in India.

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool
    (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
     Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
     To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.
      - **in your own thread**, please

Please also state the Version and Edition of Windows quoted on your COA sticker (if you have one) on the case of your machine (or inside the battery compartment), but do NOT quote the Key on the sticker!
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/Hardware.aspx

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 10:47 AM
  • actually i don't  even know that the windows xp was brought in U.S. because he emailed me the product key and he lived in U.S. so i thought purchased it in U.S and my windows xp was installed by a computer technician and i only paid him Rs.300 so i used my laptop for a month or so then activated it but then i thought it was genuine so i used it like 1 year then i knew it wasn't genuine but it was activated and i don't know what is COA sticker

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0095.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Geographically blocked PID
    Validation Code: 13
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-T4YDB-PB6DG-JPKMJ
    Windows Product Key Hash: kLpNTgYGTsUYia9HU4fgu7ASyNA=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-1011873-23081
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {462579AA-AB3E-44BE-9C5D-279B449AF11E}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.42.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.9.40.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: 2.0.48.0
    WGATray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007 - 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: Registered, 2.0.48.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-171-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Documents and Settings\Ashok Gupta\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{462579AA-AB3E-44BE-9C5D-279B449AF11E}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0095.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-JPKMJ</PKey><PID>55274-640-1011873-23081</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1644491937-1220945662-839522115</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer><Model>Inspiron 1525                   </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>A16</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20081016000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>BFFA363701846078</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>India Standard Time(GMT+05:30)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90120000-0011-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007</Name><Ver>12</Ver><Val>789C399EC99F586</Val><Hash>Fs/jR4bCWbXdzPKO+tybM895nEI=</Hash><Pid>89409-707-4157945-65151</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="16" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="18" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="19" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="1A" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="1B" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="44" Version="12" Result="100"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults>  

• Edited by 09eragera09 Wednesday, September 12, 2012 11:25 AM
    Wednesday, September 12, 2012 11:23 AM
  • The Windows XP product key he sent you belongs to an organization (a larger business, educational institution, or governmental agency) that puchased the license to use the key from Microsoft.

That is what this line means:  Windows License Type: Volume  Volume licenses are not for individual consumers like you, just for organizations.

In this case the organization that is paying for the license has agreed to let Microsoft block the key when activation is attempted with the key outside of a certain geographical area.  That's what this means:  Validation Status: Geographically blocked PID  You mentioned you are in India, so we can conclude that India is outside of the approved geographical area for this product key.

Looking at your installation of Office, the same thing applies:  it is a volume license so you as an individual consumer are not supposed to be using it.

This part of the report for Office tells us it is a volume license, too:  Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007</Name><Ver>12</Ver><Val>789C399EC99F586</Val><Hash>Fs/jR4bCWbXdzPKO+tybM895nEI=</Hash><Pid>89409-707-4157945-65151</Pid><PidType>14</

The keys are for the exclusive use of the organization that is paying for them.  No one else is supposed to use the keys, if they do, it's just like stealing.  It looks like your former friend stole the product key and sent it to you, but now that the owning organization and Microsoft have discovered it has been compromised, they have blocked it from activation.

The report says that you have a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop. Look on the bottom of the laptop or in the battery compartment, does the computer have a Certificate of Authenticity for Windows affixed to it? If so, that CoA tells you what version and edition of Windows the computer is licensed to run. If the CoA says the computer is licensed to run Windows XP Pro, then you might be able to genuine-ize the installation of Windows on the computer by running the product key updater and enter the product key on the CoA into the updater.  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/help/genuine/product-key

If there is no CoA, then the computer is not licensed to run Windows...you will have to purchase a license.  You should also uninstall the volume license of Office on your computer and purchase and install a legitimate consumer license for Office.

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 3:45 PM
  • the microsoft office key is delhi college of engineering's because this laptop is my father's and he got that 2007 key from the college he teaches "delhi college of engineering". before that i used office 2003. i dunno if it had a key or something but then you say its true my win wasn't genuine so i have only one question to ask, can i use my this version of windows, i mean will it keep working or it will just remove itself automatically because this laptop is out of warranty
    Wednesday, September 12, 2012 3:57 PM
  • If the computer's installation of XP is now activated, then it will keep working.  XP will not "remove itself."

If the installation is not now activated, then after the 30 day activation grace period it will go into reduced functionality mode, which limits you to timed internet sessions IIRC.

Friday, September 14, 2012 1:29 PM