Help with restoring backup RRS feed

• Question

•  

Made a backup from my laptop to my WHS due to different problems and also had to reinstall the entire computer.

When I now try to restore the files, I get the message that cannot run MountBackup.exe.

Why?

For the information, the computer name now is different than previous, but that doesnt matter...or?

Monday, July 21, 2008 5:56 PM

Answers

• Have reinstalled the Client computer using my own restore disks - the one from the manufacturer.

And now I want to restore files back from my WHS to my Client computer.

Couldnt find any file names MountBackup......

Monday, July 21, 2008 6:32 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you reinstalled the Client computer from a WHS backup, or do you mean you have rebuilt the Client with it's own Operating system from it's own CD's and are now wanting to copy some data files over?

What do the logs say? They are available on the Client at: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs, named MountBackup.mmddyy_nnnn.log. The latest may give some indications.

Colin

Monday, July 21, 2008 6:25 PM
  • Have reinstalled the Client computer using my own restore disks - the one from the manufacturer.

And now I want to restore files back from my WHS to my Client computer.

Couldnt find any file names MountBackup......

Monday, July 21, 2008 6:32 PM
  • Problem solved - just did a reinstall of the Console....

Monday, July 21, 2008 6:39 PM
  • OK,

Have you tried doing a Remote Desktop into the server, and opening the Console/backups from there?

Colin

Monday, July 21, 2008 6:44 PM
  •  ColinWH wrote:
    Have you tried doing a Remote Desktop into the server, and opening the Console/backups from there?
    That won't work; you can only open a backup from a client.
    Monday, July 21, 2008 7:03 PM
  • Duh!

Of course.

Colin

Monday, July 21, 2008 7:07 PM