Constant Problems with OneCare RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello:

Well, before addressing the problem, I want to mention that this was Windows OneCare was part of a pkg. in MS Equipt, where I bought it for a one-year term from Circuit City for $69.99 + tax and I'm having the following issues after installation last Sunday (December 14th):

1) I am having to correct a problem too often since I installed MS Equipt (specifically with OneCare) everyday, as the status keeps showing "Fair". When I correct the indicated problem on the Windows Live OneCare screen, it only temporarily fixes it. Why?

2) How does one get an F:\ drive, as that is what is required to store all backup files this time?

Please respond a.s.a.p., as this is somewhat getting on my nerves. If I'm paying, I deserve a functional system, no?

Thank you and happy holidays,
    Dave Chandra
    E-mail: davechndr@yahoo.com
    Wednesday, December 24, 2008 1:27 AM

All replies

• I moved your post to the Backup topic folder as your 2nd question clearly involves backup.

I can't answer your first question since you didn't tell us what the problem is that OneCare is reporting as the reason for being in Fair Status and what you are doing to correct that problem. So, provide some more information and we may be able to provide some guidance.

For the 2nd question, it sounds like you are configuring backup and it is defaulting to F: - whatever that might be. In the backup configuration, you should have a choice for backing up all PCs using Centralized backup and this will default to an external USB drive, assuming you have one attached. If you are using a single PC and this PC is not a hub in a OneCare Circle (up to 3 PCs with the same subscription LiveID, with this one made into a Hub) there is no reason to use Centralized backup. Move to the next option which is to configure backup for a single PC and the default backup destination will be a CD/DVD writer, if you have one on the PC. if you do not have a burner, and do not have an external drive, disable backup by removing the check mark next to turn on backup for this PC and save the plan. This will put the PC back to green and you will no longer be prompted for backups. If you have a CD/DVD burner, you can proceed through the configuration wizard, selecting the What, Where, and When items. pay attention to the space required for the "What" selections you make as it can take an awful lot of discs in some cases.
    To specifically answer your question, if OneCare sees F: that means that your PC has an F: drive. Open Windows Explorer to see what it is. My suspicion is that your PC has a media card reader with one or more slots for SD cards and similar. Each slot in a reader of this sort gets a drive letter assigned. My suspicion is also that you have a C: and D: drive, with the latter being a restore partition for recovering your operating system using the manufacturer's recovery process. E: would be your CD or DVD drive and F: would be one of several media card slots that have nothing attached or plugged in. If you purchase an external USB hard drive, and plug it into a USB port on the PC, it will take the next available drive letter.
    -steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, December 24, 2008 1:27 PM