Change to WHS 2011....? RRS feed

• Question

• I have WHS V1 PP3.  It works just fine.  I do have all Win7 lap and desktops.  I have 4 drives: 1, 500Gig (system drive), two -1TB drives and one 2TB drive.  It all runs on an Asus board with an AMD quad core processor.

I would like to move eventually to WHS 2011 but am concerned about a couple of things.  1) I have read about IP address problems on home routers where a static IP may be a problem (also domain name registration problems) and 2) Shared volume – or lack thereof and needing to go to a RAID configuration with all identical drives.

Can anyone who has successfully gone through the pain of changing, advise me on how you overcame these issues?  I would like to be well prepared in making the change.

(PS: I also seen posts about individuals reverting back to WHS V1) 

Your thoughts….?

Friday, June 17, 2011 8:11 PM

All replies

• Can anyone who has successfully gone through the pain of changing, advise me on how you overcame these issues? I would like to be well prepared in making the change.
    1. Set up new server.
    2. Copy data from old to new server.
    3. ????
    4. Profit!

Seriously, you set up a new server, copy all your data to it, and decommission your old server. Nothing complex about it.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 1:00 AM