Xbox360 Media Center and WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Need to be able to use the Media Center interface on my Xbox360 to connect to my Share Folders.

Yes I know I can connect the Xbox360 to WHs, But that is not by the Media Center interface. Would like to do this!

Don't know if this is a WHS software update or Xbox360 update?

Henrik

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 10:43 AM

All replies

• That would require a update to WHS.  There has been much said here about Media Center as it relates to WHS.  Its no easy task, especially when you consider the the low processor/memory requirements of WHS.  But I think if Microsoft can forgo LiveTV initially they can shed alot of the complexity of porting Media Center to WHS (Windows Server 2003).  They can always (and should) add LiveTV in the future.  In the meantime, it would be a great platform to host Media Center applications and provide a unified (Media Center UI) interface around the home.

Sunday, November 25, 2007 1:47 AM
  •  Henrikthoegersen wrote:

Need to be able to use the Media Center interface on my Xbox360 to connect to my Share Folders.

Yes I know I can connect the Xbox360 to WHs, But that is not by the Media Center interface. Would like to do this!

Don't know if this is a WHS software update or Xbox360 update?

Henrik

You need a Media Center PC, if you have a Media Center PC then you can use the Xbox360, to connect to the Shared folders on WHS using Media Centers UI on your Xbox360.

Sunday, November 25, 2007 2:58 AM
  • Richard, he was suggesting that WHS provide Media Center interface for his XBox 360.  Using *another* machine to serve that content seems very inefficient.  In my household, the Media Center PC is a laptop which may not be available or turned on.

Sunday, November 25, 2007 6:06 AM
  • I cannot imagine that Microsoft will do this for this version of WHS, particularly as it's based on 2003. However, the next version, (V2)  should be based on server 2008, and should be an easier proposition to incorporate the necessary infrastructure.

Colin

Sunday, November 25, 2007 8:22 AM
  •  

Yes

You can use another PC (Media Center PC) as a Gateway between Xbox360 and WHS, But as John says very inefficient. Need a extra computer running, just to use power and forward 01010110110 101010 1010 1010101 0101010

Henrik

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 9:52 AM
  •  

If you do not have a Media Center PC on you network then you cannot use Media Center UI on the Xbox360, you need a MCE PC.
    Wednesday, November 28, 2007 7:03 PM
  • Richard, I think everyone understands the current required architecture.  The issue isn't WHS...its Media Center.  Many including myself are not happy that Media Center does not scale better on a home network.  There is no PC based Media Extender, there is no easy way to lock Vista Media Center down if you are going to use it for dedicated Media Center usage.  You also have to admit, the environmental impact would be far less if WHS was the only computing device that absolutely needed to be left on.
    Wednesday, November 28, 2007 8:09 PM
  • My WHS Shares do not show up when I go to add them via the UI.

If I use the PC UI  I can add them but when I go to the xbox it lists everything but my WHS server.

Any suggestions?
    Saturday, December 1, 2007 7:11 PM
  • Response is in your thread on your problem (in the Hardware section.)

Please don't hijack threads like that - it's kinda rude. 

Saturday, December 1, 2007 8:34 PM
  • Not really hijacking I mean it pertains to this subject matter and the problem still exists.

I am able to "Add Videos" directory but it never actually displays them

Wondering if I need to give "Guest" Access to the folders as well.

In any event I apologize if you think I jacked the thread.
    Sunday, December 2, 2007 12:43 AM