Incorrect Public IP address problem with a Comcast Gateway and a Sonicwall TZ-210 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a sonicwall tz-210 sitting behind my comcast business gateway. It does the routing/firewall for my little home office. It works great. The comcast gateway has the firewall disabled so I get a passthrough to the Sonicwall and life is good.

When (re)setting up the WHS server, it saw that I had moved to a new Public network segment and updated my DNS records in the Microsoft cloud to reflect the public IP of my Comcast Gateway. Under normal circumstances that would have been the correct thing to do but since that is merely the gateway to my internal network, and since the Sonicwall is doing the Nat'ing and related frewall work, I need to change the public A record to reflect the correct IP I want to use for <mysite>.homeserver.com. AQny ideas how I do that?

Does anyone have any experience contacting Microsoft to sort that out? Is there some tool I can use?

Thanks!

Cheers
    John

Sunday, December 19, 2010 5:07 PM

All replies

• … I need to change the public A record to reflect the correct IP I want to use for <mysite>.homeserver.com. AQny ideas how I do that? …

It should happen automatically if you're using the Windows Home Server remote access web site. It may take some time (hours to a day) for the update to occur, and it may take some additional time for it to propagate.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, December 19, 2010 10:12 PM
  • Ken,

Thanks very much. Can you give me a bit more detail? The IP of my gateway is .254 (as assigned by Comcast). That is the WAN port address of my comcast gateway. The IP I *want* to use as the public IP for my WHS is .246. how do i get the DNS servers to reflect that? I am not being prompted for a new IP or anything.

Cheers
    John

Monday, December 20, 2010 11:58 PM
  • I should also add that I have a static block of 13 IP addresses that start at .241 and end at .254

Cheers
    John

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 12:01 AM
  • Unfortunately, you have a network configuration that Windows Home Server isn't designed to support (to be specific, I believe you have one of Comcast's business packages). The way Windows Home Server updates the homeserver.com vanity URL is effectively the same as any other dynamic DNS provider: WHS sends out a request for update to the Live Custom Domain servers, the IP address that comes from is recorded as your public IP address, and everything works automatically. It's impossible to modify this functionality to force a different IP address.

Usually what your problem works out to is that all traffic leaving your premises goes out on a single IP address. For a domain you own, and control the DNS entries for, this isn't a problem; you can point your domain to whatever IP address you like. You don't own a domain in this case, though, just a single subdomain of homeserver.com, and you don't even own that, really; Microsoft just lends it to you.

In general, what you'll need to do is configure everything so that your the outgoing IP address for traffic originating from your server is the one you want your home server traffic coming in on. This sort of advanced configuration isn't supported by consumer routers at all, and I don't know that you can configure a TZ210 to support it either. So how you do that is a question for Comcast or Sonicwall; along with your business class service you have a business class router, and presumably good customer support.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 3:03 AM