Got sick of activation. RRS feed

• General discussion

• I bought an upgrade disk for XP for an old 99 Gateway. It had problems and I had to reinstall xp 4 times on it. Activating every time. I destroyed the Gateway and built my own system. Using the 98 disc and upgrade disk I installed XP. Six months later I had my hard drive crash, reformat installed again. Then I had to download all the stupid updates and such.

Another 3 months later my Windows was so messed up I had to reformat again. But it wouldn't activate. I called up and got a activation thing and all was well. Until I bought a new motherboard after I fried the old one.

I didn't feel like going through the hassle of installing 98, upgrading to XP and changing the file system to NTFS because it takes forever. So I just used a pirated copy with SP2 slip streamed into it. Figured who cares? I already have a legal copy sitting here, that I paid for that is such a pain in the ***.

Now I have been using this for 7 months, no problems with all the settings tweaked. I have done hundreds of reg edits, installed over 100 programs and changed the settings on everything to my liking. Have hundreds of megs of updates and just don't feel like starting over until it crashes.

Is there a way I can convince MS to let me keep my pirate version and still get updates? Hell I'll mail them my 98 and upgrade disk. All legal, glossy and with their original folder thingies.

If not is there a way I can save every setting from this version of SP2 Pro and put it in my Upgrade home?

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 2:15 AM

All replies

• Microsoft does not support an illegal, pirated version of Windows.  Suggest you visit a local software store and purchase a genuine version.
    Wednesday, June 14, 2006 2:29 AM
  • I already have a legal version. As mentioned previously. Can you try reading the question in entirety before slamming me with a 'copy paste' response?
    Wednesday, June 14, 2006 9:34 AM
  • In order to solve your problem, you'll need to perform a "clean install" of Windows XP using your own genuine Windows XP CD and the Product Key that came with it.  Please note that you do not have to install Windows 98 first....follow these instructions:

Clean Install Windows XP http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html  

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 5:08 PM
  • Reading your description of your trials with activation just made my heart sing.  Why?  I'm no sadist -- I wouldn't wish this on anybody!  It's just the relief I felt reading your story and knowing for sure that I'm not the only one still jumping over repeated activation hurdles for Microsoft -- instead, there's a kindred soul out there who obviously knows exactly the kind of astonished frustration that has gradually become my background emotional state after multiple hassles with activation.  My copy of XP, now four years old and reactivated maybe six times, has always been 100% legit and located on the exact same machine in which it originally hatched...so I don't even have the complicating factor of ever having had to resort to using pirated software!  Thanks very much for sharing your story -- it's similar in several ways to mine, right down to the MS customer service staff members' strongly-held conviction that I had to have stolen my copy of Windows.  But as a matter of fact, I didn't steal it!  I paid for it and have the receipt to prove it!  Thanks again for sharing  -- it made me feel better to know I have company.

Thursday, June 15, 2006 12:31 AM
  • Strick,

You can slipstream SP2 into your genuine XP upgrade disc and create a working copy with SP2.  If you use nLite you can even slipstream-in the vast majority of Updates, too.

Depending upon your W98 CD, you don't have to install W98 first, then run the XP upgrade; just insert the XP CDROM and start setup---Setup will have you insert the W98 CD.  Note:  this method works with W98 OS installation CDs, but NOT with the typical image-based Recovery CD, so it depends upon what kind of W98 CD you have.

You can preserve the user state and your data by using the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard, or if you prefer a command line tool with more power, the User State Migration Tool, to save a lot of your tweaks if you decide to punt the bogus installation of XP you have now and "get legal."

Thursday, June 15, 2006 2:20 AM
  • In this clean installation, I will lose my highly customized registry no? As well as countless other things like modified shortcuts spewn everywhere with facny modifiers in them, I will lose my decked out start menu with its custom icon folders and organized directories. I will lose my modified IE explorer. I will lose my custom ip config settings for my counter strike source server. I will have to activate MS Reader again, even though its free. I will have to get my One-Note reinstalled. I will have to reset my swap files across my 4 hard drives. I will have to redo my sounds. Remove uneeded *** from the hard to clean Control Panel. I will need to resize all of my toolbars and such in Word and Excel. Re-setup my desktop and mess with the My Documents.

Reinstall multi disc games that I legally own such as Far Cry, Battle Field 2 and Half Life 2.

This is about 30 hours of work here. I think I would rather wait untill I get some worm that would soak all my system resources and spam the hell out of every other computer in the world before I reinstall. And I have a lot of system resources. AMD 3700+, 2GB Ram and 500gb of space with a 5Mb connection.

Thursday, June 15, 2006 2:26 AM
  • Brilliant!
    Thursday, June 15, 2006 2:27 AM
  • John:

I apologize for not directly answering your post, but its outside of the realm of WGA Validation (slipstream installing over without "repair" settings and registry changes).

Yep, Dan is very, very good. :)

-phil liu

Thursday, June 15, 2006 2:32 AM
  • Strick,

The FAST or the USMT does a lot, but don't expect miracles.

There's no question that building a new installation of XP with all of the tweaks you have applied will be a tough road to hoe.

Here's an idea that, if it works, will get you legal for $99, $50 cheaper than the Genuine Windows Offer.  Go to Staples and buy a retail upgrade of XP Pro, they have it for $99 after rebate this week.  If the upgrade will run, it "should" legalize the bogus installation of XP Pro that you have now, keeping all programs and settings.  I can't guarantee it will work because I have not tried it myself, but the chance of getting legal AND keeping your highly customized settings sounds like it might be worth more than $99 in agita alone.

Thursday, June 15, 2006 2:56 AM
  • It doesnt work, I have tried with XP home sp0. I had some bad sound drivers and such. When I tried installing over top/repairing it screwed everything up so bad that I ened up having to just reformat and install agian. (Part of the reason I had to install the same XP 4 times on one computer).

Thank you for your advice.

I just got a new job and my first $50 I am spending is going to go to AVG free, Edit Plus and Folding At Home.

I hope that by the next time I have installed XP, I will have finished with all my tweaks and such. I will have to run this program in my 64 bit windows becuase Framework 2.0 screws up my counter strike source.

I am out of here. I just removed my subscription. Thanks agian.

Thursday, June 15, 2006 8:58 PM