none
VB6 IDE source code RRS feed

• Question

• So I am forced to use the VB6 IDE still.  Old code gets replaced with C# whenever the chance comes, but still I have to go back to that VB editor with those horrid 16 colors to choose from.

It occurs to me that somewhere in the archive vaults at Microsoft, the original source code for the VB6 IDE must be floating about still.  Has anybody ever tried to find it?

It must be about time the source code got released as open source.  I would so dearly like to modify the color palette to ease those horrid days when I must look up our old code base.

Ideas, anybody?

Thursday, July 27, 2017 3:05 AM

All replies

• If I read your message I get the idea we are back in 2002 when groups of VB developers found that the new VB was to difficult for them and than started to use C#. Which is almost the same but then with curly bracelets. They declared that VB6 was the last VB. It was not, only the same things happened what happened as with C#.

However, they started a war against Microsoft.

Microsoft did allow this kind of discussions in the old forums, however nowadays they are in Microsoft forums Off Topic.

It is as asking to Ford if they can sell the old production line from the T-Ford. 

Success
    Cor

Thursday, July 27, 2017 7:54 AM
  • I would doubt that Microsoft would release classic vb6 code and even if they did you would need to understand working with C as my guess is this is the base code for core code.

Ask in the following forum

http://www.vbforums.com/forumdisplay.php?1-Visual-Basic-6-and-Earlier

I'm moving your question to off-topic as it's not about vb.net yet do understand you are not looking for vb.net.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Thursday, July 27, 2017 10:01 AM
  • So I am forced to use the VB6 IDE still.  Old code gets replaced with C# whenever the chance comes, but still I have to go back to that VB editor with those horrid 16 colors to choose from.

Why do you think the VB6 programming IDE only supports 16 colors ?

VB6 supports 16 million colors.

Try asking at VB6 Forums for VB6 programming questions

Sunday, July 30, 2017 4:58 PM
  • You are a very lucky person to have never used the VB6 IDE. The editor is restricted to a very small palette of colours. There is syntax colouring but the options are fixed to the 16 colours hard-coded into the software.

Tuesday, December 5, 2017 9:45 PM