Clean install, product key not working RRS feed

• Question

• I just clean installed Windows XP on my desktop computer from a CD that has a pirated version of Windows on it.  I purchased my desktop from a PC builder and although I was given a valid license sticker, XP was never installed on the hard drive.  So, I used a pirated version of Windows to install on the desktop and figured once I got to the point where I would have to put in my product key, I would use the one on the sticker of the license that I bought with the built computer.  Unfortunately, I assumed Microsoft would make this very simple.  They didn't.  The valid product key is not working and now the desktop is just waiting for it.  What should I do.  I figured maybe I could use the product key from the pirated CD and then update later, but that isn't working either.  How am I supposed to use my valid license on this dekstop without a CD?

• Changed type Stephen Holm Thursday, January 15, 2009 6:40 PM
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 6:56 AM

Answers

• Bob,

Curious you mentioned purchasing a license. Can you please tell me where you purchased this license from? Next you should have received the actual XP Media Disc along with this purchase. Here is the problem. First you can't be totally sure the validity of the product key which was purchased.  Next product keys are assigned to specific versions of the operating system such as:

Retail
    OEM System Builder
    OEM-SLP
    Volume Licensing

Depending on what type of software bits were on this pirated disc the key may not be the right one for that version...make sense? Please visit http://www.howtotell.com .  This site explains more indepth. In the meantime please share with us where you purchased the product key and licensing. This way I can offer more advice. Also I would contact whomever you purchased the licensing and ask them to send you the software also.

Thank you,

Stephen
    Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, January 15, 2009 9:43 PM
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 9:43 PM

All replies

• Bob,

Under NO circumstances should someone try to download/distribute ISO images for software from a P2P file sharing site or use a second-hand burned copies of software. Research has shown that about half of the software copies available on P2P download sites are infected with root kits, spyware, Trojans, and other potentially harmful malware. One file in particular was very alarming.  This file was an administrator account giving the attacker full control over both your system and data.  I would be very concerned about your system integrity because Windows is non-genuine.

As a customer there are several options available for you to get to a “Genuine” status. For details on the ways to get “Genuine”, see the web page that outlined your validation failure details. It will provide all of the possible steps which you can take. Here is the link:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine

Stephen

Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, January 15, 2009 7:13 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by bob41390 Thursday, January 15, 2009 7:42 PM
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 7:12 PM
  • I'm not quite sure you understand.  I have purchased a genuine license but I do not have a CD with which to install Windows.  Therefore, I used a pirated copy (which I obviously scanned for viruses because I'm not an idiot) to install thinking I could use my licensed product key, but it isn't working.  I want to know how the heck I am supposed to get Windows on my new computer and use my genuine validation key for it.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 7:41 PM
  • I'm also rather appalled that you would think that would be the answer to my question.  Are you that audacious?
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 7:50 PM
  • Bob,

Curious you mentioned purchasing a license. Can you please tell me where you purchased this license from? Next you should have received the actual XP Media Disc along with this purchase. Here is the problem. First you can't be totally sure the validity of the product key which was purchased.  Next product keys are assigned to specific versions of the operating system such as:

Retail
    OEM System Builder
    OEM-SLP
    Volume Licensing

Depending on what type of software bits were on this pirated disc the key may not be the right one for that version...make sense? Please visit http://www.howtotell.com .  This site explains more indepth. In the meantime please share with us where you purchased the product key and licensing. This way I can offer more advice. Also I would contact whomever you purchased the licensing and ask them to send you the software also.

Thank you,

Stephen
    Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, January 15, 2009 9:43 PM
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 9:43 PM
  • I want to reinstall gennuine win xp to clean up my PC.  Afterinserting the reinstall CD, the message i get is that my version of xp is newer so i cannot install.  No other options are presented.   Is my only option to f-disk format in safe mode and use the reinstall key?

PC is dell dimension 4400 purchased in 2002.

Friday, January 16, 2009 3:57 PM