Freeing space on landing drive. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I recently replaced my main WHS drive with a larger one. I went from an 80GB drive (split 20GB for SYS and 60GB for DATA) to a 200GB drive (split 20GB for SYS and 180GB for DATA). I did this because of the WHS landing zone bug which limited the free space available on a WHS share.

Now this bug has been fixed... I want to return the 200GB drive to it's original home and reinstall the 80GB into the WHS. However to do this I need to free up a lot of space of the DATA partition of the 200Gb drive... I need to get the used space down to at less than 60GB.
    Once I have done this, I can image the SYS and DATA partition and restore them on the 80GB drive.

How can I force WHS to move the data from the DATA partition of this drive to the other drives in the storage pool?

Thanks.
    Wednesday, December 3, 2008 10:10 PM

All replies

• Imaging the system drive in a Windows Home Server installation is unsupported and often does not work as expected. If you have not installed the most recent update to WHS, then there is a utility, LZReallocator (search in the forums), which can force files off of D:, as long as there is room on the other drives in your storage pool for the files. Remember, though, that duplication requires that files be on two separate drives. If one copy is on the system drive, and the other copy is on the only drive with space for it, then WHS will not move the first copy off the system drive.

Honestly my advice would be to leave your server as is, and buy a new drive for the other computer. Disk space is very cheap these days.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, December 3, 2008 11:41 PM