Reinstall Question - Administrator Account RRS feed

• Question

• Well, I reinstalled from trial to licensed and all my shares are there. whew!

However, the Administrator account does not have access to any share. There does not appear to be a way to change that either. I can get to them by navigating to D:\shares\<sharename> but no access when you open \\<servername>\<sharename>. Any clues?
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 12:08 AM

Answers

• Thank you all. Apparently, when I added a regular user, Administrator got all the shared folder rights back.
    • Marked as answer by kevine56 Thursday, July 2, 2009 2:50 PM
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 2:50 PM

All replies

• Well, I reinstalled from trial to licensed and all my shares are there. whew!

However, the Administrator account does not have access to any share. There does not appear to be a way to change that either. I can get to them by navigating to D:\shares\<sharename> but no access when you open \\<servername>\<sharename>. Any clues?

Do you mean from the server desktop (which is unsupported anyways)?  Can you connect to the server shares from a client PC with your regular user accounts?
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 12:15 AM
  • It's possible that ownership of some of your files still resides with the previous installation of Windows Home Server. As a result, you may need to reset the owner information on your shares:
    • Log on to your server using Remote Desktop or physical console.
    • Open Windows Explorer on your server.
    • Navigate in Explorer to D:\Shares (note that this is an exception to the general rule that direct manipulation of the shares is not advised).
    • For each share shown:
    • Right click the share and select Properties , then the Security tab.
    • Click the Advanced button.
    • Click on the Owner tab. Make sure that the Administrators group (not the Administrator id) is listed.
    • Select replace owner on subcontainers and objects and click Apply .
    If this does not take care of the issue, then repeat the above for D:\DE\Shares\etc. and all folders that match C:\FS\<something>\DE\Shares\etc.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 12:52 AM
  • Thank you all. Apparently, when I added a regular user, Administrator got all the shared folder rights back.
    • Marked as answer by kevine56 Thursday, July 2, 2009 2:50 PM
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 2:50 PM