Debugging Live Meeting client connection from external RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

recently I have deployed 2 server config for OCS with one consolidated standard edition and one as consolidated edge. I'm using ISA2006 in 3-leg config with entire DMZ using public IP range. for ISA config I used perfect article by John Weber and Tom Pacyk (http://www.isaserver.org/tutorials/OCS-2007-ISA-2006-Firewall-Design-Architecture.html)

All three edge roles have different public IPs assigned. I'm also using split DNS config with SRV records internally and externally (_sipinternaltls._tcp.company.com for internal and _sipfederationtls._tcp.company.com for external). In my case both namespaces share the same company.com DNS domain.

Getting down to business, internally everything works fine, externally I can't get LM to work. Communicator connects flawlessly, chat is possible, however I cannot extend chat with LM - which was a target for OCS deployment Sad

Question is how can I possibly troubleshoot/debug LM client - as now all I get is the stupid message

Live Meeting cannot connect to the meeting. Wait a few moments, and then try to join the meeting again.

I have checked pwconsole-debug20.txt in the temp folder and all I can get from there is:

EQ#9,placeware:Tongue TiedipFocusSession::FindSipServer:SurprisenFindServerTimer start,,,
      Drinks [X-JE] SipFocusSession::FindSipServer() - Finding SIP server for domain: ***.com
      [P] SEQ#9,placeware:Tongue TiedipFocusSession:SurprisenFindServer:SurprisenFindServerTimer stop,126509,,
      Drinks [X-JE] placeware:Tongue TiedipFocusSession::AddSipServer Adding Server: ocs.***.com:443 Mode: 3
      Drinks [X-JE] placeware:Tongue TiedipFocusSession::AddSipServer Adding Server: sipinternal.***.com Mode: 3
      Drinks [X-JE] placeware:Tongue TiedipFocusSession::AddSipServer Adding Server: sipinternal.***.com Mode: 2
      Drinks [X-JE] placeware:Tongue TiedipFocusSession::AddSipServer Adding Server: sip.***.com:443 Mode: 3
      Drinks [X-JE] placeware:Tongue TiedipFocusSession::AddSipServer Adding Server: sip.***.com Mode: 3
      Drinks [X-JE] placeware:Tongue TiedipFocusSession::AddSipServer Adding Server: sipexternal.***.com:443 Mode: 3
      Drinks [X-JE] placeware:Tongue TiedipFocusSession::AddSipServer Adding Server: sipexternal.***.com Mode: 3
      Drinks [X-JE] placeware:Tongue TiedipFocusSession:SurprisenFindServerSipFocusSession:SurprisenFindServer() - Trying first Sip Server: ocs.***.com:443Transport Mode: 3
      Drinks [X-JE] EpidManager: 70ef023192 locked.
      Drinks [X-JE] EpidManager: using epid 70ef023192
      [P] SEQ#10,placeware:Tongue TiedipFocusSession::Enter:SurprisenEnterTimer start,,,
      Drinks [X-AV] FocusAVControl:SurprisenSessionPropertyUpdate called with an updated conference view.  We will query for a new entity view in ucc
      Drinks [X-AV] FocusAVControl:Tongue TiedetConferenceView was called
      Drinks [X-AV] FocusAVControl:Tongue TiedetConferenceEntityView was called
      Drinks [X-AV] FocusAVControl:Tongue TiedetConferenceEntityView:  Sending kEntityViewAdded event
      Drinks [X-AV] Entering method: DOAVConferenceB::notification of FocusAVEvent
      Drinks [X-AV] DOAVConferenceB: generating event of type = kAVMCUEntityAvailable
      Drinks [X-AV] placeware:Big SmileOMediaConferenceB::broadcastEvent broadcasting event of type = kAVMCUEntityAvailable
      Wilted Flower PWException being thrown: placeware:Stick out tongueWException: Property not found: 6
     (e:\lcssource\se\lcs2007\main\dev\meetingconsole\client\uccparts\uccclient.cpp: placeware::UccClient::GetReadOnlyProperty(), 1955)
      Wilted Flower [X-REC] Could not find a UCCCESTP_RECORDING_ACTIVE property in the entity-view state, assumed conference is inactive.placeware::UccPropertyNotFoundException: Property not found: 6

(e:\lcssource\se\lcs2007\main\dev\meetingconsole\client\uccparts\uccclient.cpp: placeware::UccClient::GetReadOnlyProperty(), 1955)

What I find strange is second line from the bottom where it states that meeting is inactive. There are few more lines stating that.

I would be glad for any guidance as for the debugging or further troubleshooting LM client.

Thanks, Marcin

Monday, August 4, 2008 10:43 PM

Answers

• Hello Mitch,

thanks for your reply. Yesterday I finally managed to find the root cause and, what is more important, a solution!

Aparently I had no external meeting content URL configured - don't know how I could have skipped that. Anyway here is the link which resolved my issue http://regardingthetoys.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!F4AD31CB7032290E!238.entry

You can find there a step-by-step guide to change external content download URL in WMI. Now everything works fine.

I got an additional question regarding certificates. Currently for testing purposes I'm using *.company.com wildcard certificate issued by my internal CA for reverse proxy and a trial 30-day FreeSSL certificates from RapidSSL. It seems that everything except whiteboard is working fine for anonymous external users. My question would be do I need to buy 3 separate certificates, 2 for edge and 1 for rev proxy, or would it be possible to use a single wildcard certificate on all functions. Let me add here that it seems I didn't require any SANs in the certificates. I requested trial certs for ocs.company.com (access edge) and emeetings.company.com (webconferencing edge). If I'm correct I will need additional one for web components or one wildcard cert that will cover all functions.

Suggestions?

Thanks, Marcin

Thursday, August 7, 2008 10:23 PM

All replies

•  

Marcin

I have had this problem before and there are a couple of things that can cause this problem. And we would need more info then just that log. the first thing I would do is turn on logging on the communicator. and turn up logging on the live meeting this is done through a registry entry. But i can't remember it right now. it will create a file in the user profile called traces which will show the sip traffic live meeting is generating. At the same time turn on debugging on the OCS Edge server and the Front end. then try to make a connection to see if the traces show you anything.

It looks like the URL's are correct or i assume they are since you can see them and you took the info out of the trace. you should see the Url for the webconf edge DNS name you associated with the IP that is associated with Web conf as well.

a couple of questions though. How is your domian configured are you in a Parent Child domain? Also on the tab "internal" on the edge server do you have both the pool name and the server name as servers able to contact or work with the edge server?

Thursday, August 7, 2008 5:31 PM
  • Hello Mitch,

thanks for your reply. Yesterday I finally managed to find the root cause and, what is more important, a solution!

Aparently I had no external meeting content URL configured - don't know how I could have skipped that. Anyway here is the link which resolved my issue http://regardingthetoys.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!F4AD31CB7032290E!238.entry

You can find there a step-by-step guide to change external content download URL in WMI. Now everything works fine.

I got an additional question regarding certificates. Currently for testing purposes I'm using *.company.com wildcard certificate issued by my internal CA for reverse proxy and a trial 30-day FreeSSL certificates from RapidSSL. It seems that everything except whiteboard is working fine for anonymous external users. My question would be do I need to buy 3 separate certificates, 2 for edge and 1 for rev proxy, or would it be possible to use a single wildcard certificate on all functions. Let me add here that it seems I didn't require any SANs in the certificates. I requested trial certs for ocs.company.com (access edge) and emeetings.company.com (webconferencing edge). If I'm correct I will need additional one for web components or one wildcard cert that will cover all functions.

Suggestions?

Thanks, Marcin

Thursday, August 7, 2008 10:23 PM
  • We have had issues with Wild card Certs on OCS So we do not recommend it. Nor does microsoft. We do usually recommend that you purchase 3 Certificates, 1 being for Access edge services, 1 for Webconf Edge Services, and 1 for Reverse proxy for the live meeting content, addressbook download, and group expansion.

Microsoft Recommends that each one should be a seperate certificate. some people have been able to configure this with only one UC Cert. but many people have had many problems configuring this.

Friday, August 8, 2008 9:16 PM
  • Thanks for prompt reply.

I think I will go for two separate certs for access edge and webconferencing. As for reverse proxy I will go for wildcard, if that will not run properly I will have whiteboard disabled for the time required to purchase additional cert for that.

Thanks, Marcin

Friday, August 8, 2008 9:42 PM