Using Home Server under an existing SBS Server? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a strange question, my friend/customer is sharing internet access with his landlord who he rents his office from. The Landlord is currently using a SBS Server and therefore sharing internet access. I found out that for him to use his SBS 2003 software or Server 2008 software will not suffice under the situation of him sharing the DSL service and that the existing SBS is already using a DOMAIN CONTROLLER.

If anyone can tell me if I suggest Home Server software over the existing to solve his issue, if the HOME SERVER requires a DOMAIN CONTROLLER and if HOME SERVER and SBS SERVER can exist at the same time?

Please advise.

David Morales - BuyitPC

DMorales
    Friday, December 12, 2008 7:12 AM

All replies

• DavidMorales said:

I have a strange question, my friend/customer is sharing internet access with his landlord who he rents his office from. The Landlord is currently using a SBS Server and therefore sharing internet access. I found out that for him to use his SBS 2003 software or Server 2008 software will not suffice under the situation of him sharing the DSL service and that the existing SBS is already using a DOMAIN CONTROLLER.

If anyone can tell me if I suggest Home Server software over the existing to solve his issue, if the HOME SERVER requires a DOMAIN CONTROLLER and if HOME SERVER and SBS SERVER can exist at the same time?

Please advise.

David Morales - BuyitPC

DMorales

While Windows Home Server can function in a domain environment, it cannot be part of a domain.
    Friday, December 12, 2008 7:24 AM
  • Hi Kariya21-

So, if my customer is presently using internet access by sharing it from his landlord, and he decides to use Home Server instead, then a computer/box can be added with the software and any machine he attaches will work without failure or issues even though the existing network is present? He wouldn't have to join the Domain of his neighbors network but could connect his computers up and share data and printing and even call into that computer remotely outside and access the server?

I would also assume to know that the machine doesn't have to be a XEON processor system, or it doesn't matter or would hurt if it was? Am I to assume that correctly?

David Morales - BuyitPC.

DMorales
    Friday, December 12, 2008 7:47 AM
  • David,

While a WHS can co-exist quite happily with an SBS set-up,  unless there is some form of separate IP external address for each portion of the network - one for the landlord, one for the client - then a 'normal' router can only be set up to forward incoming requests to one server, so it could be either the SBS OR the WHS, but not both. Anything beyond that, would then depend on what the security requirements would be, for example, the SBS may be able to forward incoming requests to the WHS network, but would that be acceptable.
    A lot would depend on just how information would be shared between the two users, are they independent, are they really happy to have one see all the others data etc.

A lot more detail would be required to formulate a full reply, but personally, I would be tempted to use separate systems, one for the Client, one for the Landlord and then work from there.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Friday, December 12, 2008 11:13 AM