At midnight WHS starts something and just about grinds network to a halt. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all
       My problem is this, at midnight every night the WHS starts some operation and im not sure what it is. but it just about takes the entire network down. I have the backups scheduled to run between 2 am and 6 am, the clock is set to the right time and i have looked for other settings and timed events that would run at this time. Could someone please give me some guidance on what to look for, could there be a client side option causing this? im not sure what to do, its frustrating as around this time i am usually playing World of Warcraft. Also, i have tried shutting all the computers off at this time and the whs still starts running something. very confusing :)
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 4:31 PM

All replies

• Windows Updates, if you have automatic updates turned on. Do you have anything installed on your server? Add-ins? Software intstalled via the server desktop?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 4:55 PM
  • Windows update is set to run at 3:00 am, the only other thing installed is avast av for WHS and that is currently disabled, the license lapsed and i havent renewed yet.

Thanks for the speedy reply.
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 7:55 PM
  • You could login to your server and check the Scheduled Tasks in Control Panel.
    Maybe those give you a hint.
    Disabling AV software must not mean, that all tasks it does are disabled.

Check also the event log of the server for possible clues.
    What is it for hardware?
    Could a client try to communicate to get updated search informations, or does the search service do some scanning?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 8:34 PM
  • Hi all
       My problem is this, at midnight every night the WHS starts some operation and im not sure what it is. but it just about takes the entire network down. I have the backups scheduled to run between 2 am and 6 am, the clock is set to the right time and i have looked for other settings and timed events that would run at this time. Could someone please give me some guidance on what to look for, could there be a client side option causing this? im not sure what to do, its frustrating as around this time i am usually playing World of Warcraft. Also, i have tried shutting all the computers off at this time and the whs still starts running something. very confusing :)
    Chkdsk runs every night at midnight.  You might try running chkdsk /r on each drive in your server.  See this FAQ for details.
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 1:08 AM