Reinstalling WHS: Use Original Media or PP3 trial version RRS feed

• Question

• How would you suggest I go about reinstalling WHS on my server? In my situation, there is no concern about data loss. I just want to get PP3 on it before my computers join it.

I have the original media (2+ years old.) Should I use it and just go through the update process manually until I am at PP3? Or can I use the distribution package below, which already has PP3? Can I simply apply my valid product code to this and use it as retail?

WHS PP3 30-day trial
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=e3694b69-93f6-4267-b881-55ce0648c784

If using the 30-day trial is not an option, is there a way I can update to PP3 without neccessarily having to go through Windows Update to do it? I would prefer to download PP1 - PP3 and apply them manually. Is that possible?

Will
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 10:02 PM

All replies

• Use the original media. As has been documented in many questions in this forum, the trial software includes a time bomb which will disable it, no matter what you do, after 120 days. This time bomb is not tied to the product key or activation, and can't be defeated in any reasonable way (I'm sure some hacker out there has taken the time to figure out how to do it, but I don't know of any instructions).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 10:22 PM
  • Thanks again, Ken. Yes, I had seen some of those previous posts. But it wasn't totally clear to me whether or not I could use my product code during setup and thus use the trial install media as a "retail" product.

Thanks for the clarification.

Will
    Friday, December 31, 2010 12:06 AM