I'm a Mac. And I'm a PC. RRS feed

• Question

• I have two Mac’s and three PC’s.  I have a 200G LaCie firewire drive that backs up my data.  Mac does not recognize NTFS so in order to use the drive on all machines, I needed to create two partitions in the Mac (100G Mac and 100G Windows) and format in FAT (or FAT32).  FYI, Mac sees both partitions and Windows only sees one 100G drive.

I had been backing up all my computers one at a time by moving the LaCie drive and plugging and unplugging each into the LaCie.  I was looking forward to using the Hub feature in OneCare to take care of the PC’s.

Can I force OneCare to back up to my FAT drive?  I can’t get by the “I want to convert you to NTFS” screen and don’t see any other option but to cancel.  One of the Mac’s is away at school and I don’t want to risk Windows crashing through the partition and destroying the Mac data.

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 2:05 AM

Answers

• To safely format the single partition you plan to use for One Care backup go to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Disc Management. Find the drive partition you plan to use for One Care backup, right click the partition and select "Format". Select NTFS. When formatting is complete you should be able to use the newly formatted partition for One Care backup and your MAC data should be safe and unaltered.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 4:38 PM

All replies

• To safely format the single partition you plan to use for One Care backup go to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Disc Management. Find the drive partition you plan to use for One Care backup, right click the partition and select "Format". Select NTFS. When formatting is complete you should be able to use the newly formatted partition for One Care backup and your MAC data should be safe and unaltered.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 4:38 PM
  • Thanks Jim.  I'll do that.  Since I wrote last night, I find that I can get a 1TB LaCie for the same price I paid for the 250G.  I should just go out and buy a drive for the PC and put the old one back with the Mac so no more moving anything around.  That's probably the best solution of all!

dw
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 6:41 PM