Bt Home Hub & Netgear Router Remote Access RRS feed

• Question

• Hopefull the last noob question, sorry!

I have now set up a netgear router that supports DSL/cable and i have internet acces fine using a Bt Home Hub plugged into the WAN port on the netgear.

I have the No-ip client on the WHS all working fine.  It redirects to the admin page of the bt home hub so i know that part is working and all i need to do is forward 80, 443 and 4128 as told before.  But where do i forward from?

a.  the Bt Home Hub to the Netgear Router (its all the home home hub can see) only.

b.  A above then forward the same ports on the netgear to the WHS PC.

c.  A method of forwarding to the WHS from the Home hub i dont know about?

d.  remove the home hub firewall and forward on the Netgear router only.

As always thanks in advance!

Thursday, April 5, 2007 5:34 PM

Answers

• Thanks ken.

The reason for using both is that the Netgear is not a ADSL modem its a wireless router with gigbit ports. (WNR854T)  The home hub is the ADSL modem as well.  But the Home hub only has 2 ethernet posts at 100mps and a 54g wifi.  I wanted to use the netgear as it is gigabit and Wireless N draft, leaving the hub juts providing the ADSL modem feature.

I solved it by diabling the firewall in the home hub, and forwarding the ports to the netgear, then in the netgear i enabled the firewall and forwarded the ports to the WHS.  I installed the No-IP client on the WHS and it all worsk perfectly now.

I dont use any of the Home hub telephony features and i have enough ports for all my pc's.

Thanks for you help though, it set me down the right track.

Friday, April 6, 2007 8:12 AM

All replies

• I'm not sure why you have both the BT Home Hub (which is a broadband router with VoIP and wifi features, if I understand correctly) and a wired router. Simplest would be to use one or the other, probably the BT Home Hub (assuming the BT Home Hub is capable of providing a wired connection to the WHS).

However, I'll assume you have a reason to want to use both. While it's possible to forward ports from one router to another, and then to a destination computer, I would stay away from the complexities involved. There are several options left. The best one, I think, would be to reconfigure your router to act as a switch. Then you could forward directly from the BT Home Hub to the WHS. Another option would be to reconfigure your network to put the Netgear router back on the edge of your network, instead of the BT Home Hub. Then you could forward directly from the Netgear router to WHS, and hang the BT Home Hub off one of the router's other ports. That might cause some problems with other services the BT Home Hub supplies, though. I really don't know.
    Thursday, April 5, 2007 10:15 PM
  • Thanks ken.

The reason for using both is that the Netgear is not a ADSL modem its a wireless router with gigbit ports. (WNR854T)  The home hub is the ADSL modem as well.  But the Home hub only has 2 ethernet posts at 100mps and a 54g wifi.  I wanted to use the netgear as it is gigabit and Wireless N draft, leaving the hub juts providing the ADSL modem feature.

I solved it by diabling the firewall in the home hub, and forwarding the ports to the netgear, then in the netgear i enabled the firewall and forwarded the ports to the WHS.  I installed the No-IP client on the WHS and it all worsk perfectly now.

I dont use any of the Home hub telephony features and i have enough ports for all my pc's.

Thanks for you help though, it set me down the right track.

Friday, April 6, 2007 8:12 AM