Cant access Windows 7 folders. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi
    I'm running a small network (3 computes + whs server). Recently I upgraded the clients to Windows 7. All works fine...  almost.
    On one of the client computers I have a big collection of files, placed in a shared folder. Normally the the WHS server runs a script containing a robcopy command doing a copy to the whs server. This has stopped to work.

The reason is that (I think) the WHS server cant see the network. That is,, logging in on the server, I am unable to connect to the windows 7 computers,, actually,, I cant see them at all.

So, how can I get access to the shared folders on the Windows 7 computers ??? 

//lasse

Lasse
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 6:21 PM

Answers

• If you try from the server, it is recommended to assign the local Administrator of the client the same password as the Administrator on the Home Server to simplify the things.
    Since you login as Administrator there (if you use Remote Desktop or a local session), your attempt may fail due to the fact, that the real Administrator account in Windows 7 is disabled and has a different password.
    To try this, open a cmd prompt "As Administrator" on the client and enter following commands:
    net user Administrator password (replace password with the console password of your WHS)
    net user Administrator /active:yes

Reboot both machines (not sure, if this is needed) and try again.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, January 4, 2010 7:59 PM

All replies

• Hi Lasse,
    on your Windows 7 PC did you declare the network as a Private (Home or Work) network and not as a public? (With public network all access to shared folders and other ressources on that PC will be cut.)
    So WHS cannot see anything, because Windows 7 doesn't let him see anything.
    Olaf
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 7:07 PM
  • Hi
    I've set up a Home network. All other computers can see each other and the whs server.

//lasse

Lasse
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 8:16 PM
  • Hi
    I've set up a Home network. All other computers can see each other and the whs server.

//lasse

Lasse
    Do you have any type of security suite software on that client?  Have you tried temporarily disabling the firewall on that client, then run the script?
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 9:04 PM
  • Hi

//lasse

Lasse
    Do you have any type of security suite software on that client?  Have you tried temporarily disabling the firewall on that client, then run the script?
    I've disabled the FireWall on the clients,,, same result, no access to the client computer from whs.
    Lasse
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 9:53 AM
  • Logged in to the server, can you click Start, then Run, then type \\<computername> (replace <computername> with the name of the Windows 7 computer that has the share in question) and press Enter? Can you see the share? Can you even reach the computer?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 3:59 PM
  • Logged in to the server, can you click Start, then Run, then type \\<computername> (replace <computername> with the name of the Windows 7 computer that has the share in question) and press Enter? Can you see the share? Can you even reach the computer?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

I cant see any computer. The error message is:

\\xxx is not accesible. You might not have the permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The specified server cannot perform the requested operation

//lasse

Lasse
    Monday, January 4, 2010 3:20 PM
  • If you try from the server, it is recommended to assign the local Administrator of the client the same password as the Administrator on the Home Server to simplify the things.
    Since you login as Administrator there (if you use Remote Desktop or a local session), your attempt may fail due to the fact, that the real Administrator account in Windows 7 is disabled and has a different password.
    To try this, open a cmd prompt "As Administrator" on the client and enter following commands:
    net user Administrator password (replace password with the console password of your WHS)

Olaf
    Monday, January 4, 2010 7:59 PM

Olaf
    " Administrator on the Home "  is this the user I use to log on to the whs computer,,, or a user created with the whs console ??

//lasse

Lasse
    Monday, January 4, 2010 8:18 PM
  • It is the user account "Administrator" - and this is only for the case, if you want to access shared folders on Windows 7 machines from the desktop on the WHS, on which you are logged in with that account name.
    Since logging in with a normal user account locally on WHS is not supported, this is the easiest way (although not best practice, since unsupported).
    If it was something else you tried to accomplish, please explain again.
    Olaf
    Monday, January 4, 2010 11:37 PM
  • It is the user account "Administrator" - and this is only for the case, if you want to access shared folders on Windows 7 machines from the desktop on the WHS, on which you are logged in with that account name.
    Since logging in with a normal user account locally on WHS is not supported, this is the easiest way (although not best practice, since unsupported).
    If it was something else you tried to accomplish, please explain again.
    Olaf

It works well and I understand (I think :) ).

What you are saying is that I am trying to do something that normally is not supported on whs,,, that is using a batch script for coping shared folders on windows 7 clients.

Is it a way to make the "Home Server Console" to start the script,,, ?? will I have the same problem?

//regards
    //Lasse

Lasse
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 12:00 PM

• It works well and I understand (I think :) ).

What you are saying is that I am trying to do something that normally is not supported on whs,,, that is using a batch script for coping shared folders on windows 7 clients.

Is it a way to make the "Home Server Console" to start the script,,, ??

No.

will I have the same problem?

//regards
    //Lasse

Lasse
    My suggestion:  go from the other side (meaning setup your batch file on the client instead of the server).  This way you can use the credentials of someone on that client that already has a user name and password that (presumably) matches a user account on your server.
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 1:24 AM
  • Alternatively you can also try Microsoft SyncToy.
    Olaf
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 7:59 AM

• It works well and I understand (I think :) ).

Is it a way to make the "Home Server Console" to start the script,,, ??

No.

will I have the same problem?

//regards
    //Lasse

Lasse
    My suggestion:  go from the other side (meaning setup your batch file on the client instead of the server).  This way you can use the credentials of someone on that client that already has a user name and password that (presumably) matches a user account on your server.

I've also been thinking of "reversing" the backup. Todays solution is historical. My music/vide collection was on a Nas drive,,, small, silent, efficent. Now the collection is on a small atom based computer. It is possible to let it run the backup script, but my Nas could not. 
    My whs is noisy, and consumes a lot of power (relative NAS/Atom) so I power cycles it (i.e,, it is turned on during backup periods). The only problem with "reversing" should be that the scritp must run when the whs server is on... 

//lasse
    Lasse
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 10:15 AM
  • Alternatively you can also try Microsoft SyncToy.
    Olaf

What advatages will SyncToy have over Robocopy ????

//lasse
    Lasse
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 10:16 AM