Move "Client Computer Backups" Folder to Network Drive RRS feed

• Question

• I have setup WHS2011 on a ESXi VM with a fairly small (200GB) virtual harddisk. I did that with the intent of moving the "Client Computer Backups" Folder to a drive mapped to my RAID6 equipped 8TB Qnap NAS after the installation of WHS2011. But when I invoke the "Move  Folder" Wizard only the C: drive is selectable. What's the problem?
    weichhold.com
    Saturday, July 16, 2011 8:04 PM

All replies

• Oliver

The problem is you are trying to do something that is not supported by WHS. It is a server not a network integration tool - it's designed to store data rather than distribute it around your network.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Saturday, July 16, 2011 10:12 PM
  • I have setup WHS2011 on a ESXi VM with a fairly small (200GB) virtual harddisk. I did that with the intent of moving the "Client Computer Backups" Folder to a drive mapped to my RAID6 equipped 8TB Qnap NAS after the installation of WHS2011. But when I invoke the "Move  Folder" Wizard only the C: drive is selectable. What's the problem?
    weichhold.com

If your NAS supports iSCSI, and you're familiar with it's use, you can mount a volume from your NAS that way and should be able to do what you want. (I'll note that technically, this is unsupported.) Or you can create a virtual disk on your NAS and give that to your server. For help with that, I'll refer you to VMWare.

As Philip has said, however, Windows Home Server is designed to consolidate your data, not distribute it.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, July 16, 2011 11:51 PM