EMail Router RRS feed

• Question

• When or why would you use "None" or "CRM for Outlook"  or "Forward Email" or "Email Router" in the Incoming/Outgoing user setup? I just installed the email router and want to make sure I have my users setup properly.  All i want to do is to be able to send marketing emails out of CRM.  I do not want all emails in Outlook tracked.  Some of our users use CRM for Outlook, others use the web version.  I just dont understand how I would set them up properly.  I also dont know if I set the incoming/outgoing email for a specific user to "none" what would it do?  Would the user still be able to send emails through CRM or does "Email Router" have to be set?  What do most people use for setup?  Thanks

Monday, March 1, 2010 4:40 PM

Answers

• Here is an excerpt from the "How to configure the On-premise and Online E-mail Router in different deployment scenarios" paper that provides a fairly good overview to help you in making decisions about the best configuration for your scenario.

Deployment considerations

The Microsoft Dynamics CRM E-mail Router
    Advantages

·         Can be used to connect to Exchange and POP3 mailboxes to track e-mail into Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0.

·         Can be used in deployments where the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Client for Outlook is not installed.

·         Can be used to monitor individual user mailboxes.

Disadvantages

·         For POP3 accounts, you must create an incoming profile for each POP3 account and you must enter the password for each POP3 account.

·         Requires a dedicated computer that is always running.

·         Can be more complex to setup and maintain if used to monitor a large number of user’s mailboxes.

The Forward Mailbox

Advantages

·         Reduces the number of incoming profiles that must be created and managed for organizations that monitor a large number of user’s mailboxes.

·         One central mailbox to monitor.

Disadvantages

·         E-mail provider must have the ability to forward as an attachment. This is required to forward e-mails to a central mailbox that is monitored by the Microsoft Dynamics CRM E-mail Router.

·         A mailbox rule must be deployed to each user to forward e-mails to the central mailbox.

The Microsoft Dynamics CRM Outlook client

Advantages

·         This scenario does not require the Microsoft Dynamics CRM E-mail Router.  The Microsoft Dynamics CRM Client for Outlook is able to send e-mail for each user whether the user sends it from within Outlook or within the CRM Web Client, as well as receive and track e-mail in Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0.

·         There are no user passwords to maintain for access to Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 or to the user’s mailboxes.

Disadvantages

·         The Microsoft Dynamics CRM Client for Outlook must be running for e-mails to be sent or tracked in Microsoft Dynamics CRM.  If the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Client for Outlook is not running, the e-mails will be queued until Outlook is launched and connects to the Microsoft Dynamics CRM server and to the mail server.

·         This scenario cannot be used for Queues created in Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0.

Best Regards | Twitter: edwardsdna
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Tuesday, March 2, 2010 9:29 PM
    Monday, March 1, 2010 5:17 PM

All replies

• Here are some quick examples.

"CRM for Outlook" means CRM mail will only work when Outlook is running and when the outlook client syncs with crm.

"Forward Email" means the users fwds email as an attachment to a mailbox and the ER looks in that mailbox for crm emails.

"Email Router" means the ER S/R the email. Exchange is needed to R.
    SJ
    Monday, March 1, 2010 4:46 PM
  • Here is an excerpt from the "How to configure the On-premise and Online E-mail Router in different deployment scenarios" paper that provides a fairly good overview to help you in making decisions about the best configuration for your scenario.

Deployment considerations

The Microsoft Dynamics CRM E-mail Router
    Advantages

·         Can be used to connect to Exchange and POP3 mailboxes to track e-mail into Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0.

·         Can be used in deployments where the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Client for Outlook is not installed.

·         Can be used to monitor individual user mailboxes.

Disadvantages

·         For POP3 accounts, you must create an incoming profile for each POP3 account and you must enter the password for each POP3 account.

·         Requires a dedicated computer that is always running.

·         Can be more complex to setup and maintain if used to monitor a large number of user’s mailboxes.

The Forward Mailbox

Advantages

·         Reduces the number of incoming profiles that must be created and managed for organizations that monitor a large number of user’s mailboxes.

·         One central mailbox to monitor.

Disadvantages

·         E-mail provider must have the ability to forward as an attachment. This is required to forward e-mails to a central mailbox that is monitored by the Microsoft Dynamics CRM E-mail Router.

·         A mailbox rule must be deployed to each user to forward e-mails to the central mailbox.

The Microsoft Dynamics CRM Outlook client

Advantages

·         This scenario does not require the Microsoft Dynamics CRM E-mail Router.  The Microsoft Dynamics CRM Client for Outlook is able to send e-mail for each user whether the user sends it from within Outlook or within the CRM Web Client, as well as receive and track e-mail in Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0.

·         There are no user passwords to maintain for access to Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 or to the user’s mailboxes.

Disadvantages

·         The Microsoft Dynamics CRM Client for Outlook must be running for e-mails to be sent or tracked in Microsoft Dynamics CRM.  If the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Client for Outlook is not running, the e-mails will be queued until Outlook is launched and connects to the Microsoft Dynamics CRM server and to the mail server.

·         This scenario cannot be used for Queues created in Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0.

• Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Tuesday, March 2, 2010 9:29 PM
    Monday, March 1, 2010 5:17 PM
  • Thank you for your help.  I just want to make sure I have it all setup correctly.  I was told if I selected "None" and the incoming/outgoing on the users  that the emails would still send and receive, is that correct?  What is "none" used for them?
    Monday, March 1, 2010 6:10 PM
  • If you select None, Outlook will still send and receive e-mail through Exchange as you would normally expect.  I'll make the assumption that the CRM Web client will not send e-mails on the user's behalf if 'None' is selected for the user's option but I could be wrong as I have not tested or used the option.  It would be easy enough to test if you want to try it out.

Tuesday, March 2, 2010 12:14 AM