Remote Access on WHS on W2K Server home network RRS feed

• Question

• Newbie here ... please be kind :-) I have WHS working great on my Windows 2000 home network. We have a home domain but WHS is not a DC nor is it domain joined.  Question: how do I configure W2K for port forwarding between our external IP and internal intranet scope. Configuration is as follows:
    DSL modem is 206.xxx.yyy.17 (public IP address) -- that is connected by ethernet to my "www" network adapter on our Network server "Columbia" (206.xxx.yyy.22), I have a second network card on the machine that talks to our internal network (192.xxx.yyy.1), our WHS is 192.xxx.yyy.100 on the internal network. We use DHCP for auot IP addressing of most of the machines internally but the WHS has a static IP.

Looking around there seems to be several approaches -- all of which look promising but I can't seem to find a definitive recommendation on which way to go: Enabling internet sharing on hte internet network adapter (206.xxx.yyy.22), then adding WHS as a service and defining the ports here.   Another approach seems to be TCP/IP filtering (also on the external network adapter -- the one that talks to the internet).  Also, looking at NAT under IP routing there seems to be a possibility to do it there. 

I did do a series of searches in this forum and in the WHS hardware forum .. not sure where this post should go.  If anyone could provide some guidance or forward some links that describe what I'm trying to do. I'd greatly appreciate it.

Second question:  we have a domain www.<ourfamily>.com --- with a block of static IP address that we got from our ISP.  Is there a way to use one them for WHS website instead of using WinLive Domain? 

Thx.

Nat

-- Nat
    Monday, June 8, 2009 11:17 PM

All replies

• Not sure about your network configuration... why do you need a network server? Most routers will do DHCP and act as a buffer between the external Internet and your internal network, as well as simple port forwarding. Plus it just takes much less power :)

For your domain, you need to set your nameserver to point to your static IP.
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 4:21 AM
  • Honestly, I certainly don't need a network server like W2K ... but at one time, I could get such software cheaply so I jumped on it and have been running it since about 2001.   But unless you spend every day in it, its a challenge.....

So the simple question is: what's the strategy around doing port forwarding in W2K for WHS?  Anyone have any thoughts.
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 4:40 AM
  • The best strategy is really to buy a consumer broadband router and replace your 8 year old Windows 200 Server machine, which is acting as a router. In the consumer realm I like D-Link a little better than Linksys, but I don't have either at home, I have a business-class router from SonicWall.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 3:57 PM