Restoring Files from another Windows Homeserver RRS feed

• Question

• I need to be able to restore/view a back up that was of my dads computer. It was on his homeserver and now I have my own server. His computer is not listed on my listed of computers that are backed up. The information was copied from his homeserver to mine. My windows homserver is not seeing the computer. Is there another way to restore the DAT files. I have the files copied to the correct folder according to the information I have.  It actually told me the files were corrupt and it would attempt to repair them. I did this and it said it had to delete them but it didn't actually delete the files. Any suggestions?

Monday, August 29, 2011 9:39 PM

All replies

• You should connect your PC to his homeserver, then restore.
    qts
    Friday, September 2, 2011 10:23 AM
  • You should read my msg before replying
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 11:01 AM
  • We will need a lot more information to be able to help you properly, I'm afraid, but Quentin is right: the best way to restore files from your father's home server is to use a PC that's been connected to his home server as a client. Whether that's a PC of yours, or another one of his, doesn't matter...

Assuming you're talking about Windows Home Server V1, you can use a tool like the Backup DataBase Backup (BDBB) add-in to back up the database on his server and restore it on yours, or you can manually back up the entire backup database and restore it, using the information in this technical brief. You can't copy parts of the backup database from one location to another (which is what it sounds like you've tried to do), however, only the whole thing, and replacing your backup database with his is likely to cause some issues on your server.

The warning you mention suggests to me that either you tried to copy only part of the backup database, or you copied the whole thing but there was some problem with his server which caused damage to the database. In either case, you won't be able to restore from the database on your server as it stands right now, and (depending on what exactly you did) you may wind up having to delete your backup database or restore it from a backup, if you have one.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 12:58 PM