Has frequent computer upgrades invalidated my copy of Vista? RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, so about 2 years ago I bought an Emachine T5226 with Windows Vista (32-bit) preloaded on it. Since then, I've upgraded through 2 different graphics cards, 1 mother board, 1 processor, a new HDD, and more RAM. I've also reformatted and reinstalled the operating system quite a few times. For the past 4 months, I've had to deal with constant pop ups telling me that my software may be counterfeit and that I need to activate my copy of Windows. When I try to activate it, it doesn't let me. There is a 0 (zero) in my product key and it doesn't accept it as a character in the product key. My software isn't counterfeit, I still have the boot disk that came with my computer. I can't have a desktop background without it reverting to the "This copy of Windows is not Genuine" black background. Plus, I'm often exited out of the games that I play, due to pop ups. Aside from buying a new product key (I don't have the money for that) is there any way for me to tell my system that it's genuine?

Thanks.
    Saturday, August 29, 2009 9:10 PM

Answers

• No reply from original poster.

Closing thread as Answered.

Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, September 9, 2009 9:52 PM
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 9:52 PM

All replies

• In order to receive the best support, we request all users initially download and run the MGA Tool at this link: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click the "Continue" button, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into your post.

Carey Frisch
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 3:48 PM
  • No reply from original poster.

Closing thread as Answered.

Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, September 9, 2009 9:52 PM
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 9:52 PM