locked
CRM 2011 workflow to send email to dynamic value gets error "the email must have at least one recipient before it can be sent" RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have created and am testing a new step in a CRM2011 workflow to send an email to the requesting user on a Client Setup/Change form. I am the requesting user in my testing. When I use a dynamic value {Requested By(Client Setup/Change Form)} the workflow gets stuck in a waiting state with the message "the email must have at least one recipient before it can be sent". Yet if I specify my user (non-dynamic) as the recipient it works fine. This appears to show it's not an issue with my user's email setup. Any ideas why it can't recognize the dynamic value as a valid recipient? By the way, it does recognize the same dynamic value as a valid sender.
    Thursday, September 25, 2014 12:10 AM

Answers

  • Thanks to Microsoft Support tech Durgesh Jaiswal who worked with me online and discovered the problem. Someone in the past had created a second field with the same display name "Requested By" on the custom form used to trigger the workflow. This field had a type (Lookup) that didn't work as an email recipient. I did see both fields listed when I created the workflow and chose the email recipient, but thought they were referring to the same field since they had the same name. I assumed (incorrectly) there couldn't be two fields with the same name! It figures I had a 50/50 chance and happened to chose the wrong one. I assigned the recipient to the right one and now my workflow sends the email. To avoid this type of problem in the future, I went to the form and changed the second instance of the "Requested By" field (which wasn't being used anywhere on the form) to be "Requested By_new".  MORAL OF THE STORY - make sure your custom field's Display Name is unique on that form!

    Orygunner








    • Marked as answer by Orygunner Tuesday, October 21, 2014 11:54 PM
    • Edited by Orygunner Wednesday, October 22, 2014 12:03 AM
    Tuesday, October 21, 2014 11:54 PM

All replies

  • Hi Ory,

    Please refer the links below:

    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f6eb6910-d7fc-41e2-815d-d8f99d78f063/crm-2011-onpremise-workflow-service-calendar?forum=crmdevelopment

    http://www.williamgryan.mobi/?p=189

    Saad

    Thursday, September 25, 2014 3:57 AM
  • Hi,

    "TO” and ”FROM” fields in email can be filled only with Lead, Contact, Account or User .

    So you cannot populate “TO” of “FROM” fields by attribute from custom entity by workflow. 

    But this can be achieved using the custom workflow.
    pass entityreference as a input parameter

    Entity Reference
    [Input("EntityReference input")]
    [ReferenceTarget("customentity")]
    [Default("3B036E3E-94F9-DE11-B508-00155DBA2902", "customentity")]
    public InOutArgument<EntityReference> CustomEntityReference { get; set; }

    And send email by taking the input parameter.

    Thanks,


    Sreeni Pavalla

    Thursday, September 25, 2014 4:38 AM
  • Thanks Saad, but those links refer to a form that has been deleted and this does not apply to the form I am using. My workflow triggers off of a simple field value change on the form, so the form is still out there when the workflow is processing.

    Orygunner


    • Edited by Orygunner Thursday, September 25, 2014 6:23 PM
    Thursday, September 25, 2014 3:44 PM
  • Thanks Sreeni but I am a CRM newbie and am not sure how to implement your proposed solution. But I can say the dynamic value I am using in the email - {Requested By(Client Setup/Change Form)} - does in fact work as the "FROM" value so I don't understand why it won't work as the "TO" value.

    Orygunner

    Thursday, September 25, 2014 6:21 PM
  • Thanks to Microsoft Support tech Durgesh Jaiswal who worked with me online and discovered the problem. Someone in the past had created a second field with the same display name "Requested By" on the custom form used to trigger the workflow. This field had a type (Lookup) that didn't work as an email recipient. I did see both fields listed when I created the workflow and chose the email recipient, but thought they were referring to the same field since they had the same name. I assumed (incorrectly) there couldn't be two fields with the same name! It figures I had a 50/50 chance and happened to chose the wrong one. I assigned the recipient to the right one and now my workflow sends the email. To avoid this type of problem in the future, I went to the form and changed the second instance of the "Requested By" field (which wasn't being used anywhere on the form) to be "Requested By_new".  MORAL OF THE STORY - make sure your custom field's Display Name is unique on that form!

    Orygunner








    • Marked as answer by Orygunner Tuesday, October 21, 2014 11:54 PM
    • Edited by Orygunner Wednesday, October 22, 2014 12:03 AM
    Tuesday, October 21, 2014 11:54 PM