WHS optical drive for netbook software install RRS feed

• General discussion

• This is just an FYI for netbook owners requiring an optical drive to install software.  I just added a new Samsung netbook to the fleet and wanted to install Office.  Of course netbooks don't come with optical drives, but I found that I could use the WHS DVD drive just like a local netbook drive.  This may be old news for some, but all I had to do was setup the WHS optical drive (assuming you have one) for sharing.  From the WHS desktop go to my computer, right-click the optical for Properties and check the box to allow sharing.  Then on the netbook add a "network place" just like you would add any share and select the WHS optical drive.  After it's mapped, insert the software disc and kill the autostart menu on the WHS desktop.  On the netbook, open the optical drive folder in My Network Places, and run Setup.exe or whatever is required for that software.  The software installs over the network just like local.  Now I don't have a need for an $80 external netbook DVD.  Cheers!
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 8:46 PM

All replies

• If you browse to the WHS drives, after getting into the shares with a valid login, in the software folder you can run the connector software install.
    Friday, August 28, 2009 9:22 PM
  • Yes, that's how you install WHS connector, but MS Office installs from CD/DVD disks, so you must share the optical drive.
    Saturday, August 29, 2009 4:11 PM
  • Why? Remember that most Windows Home Server devices are OEM units from HP, Acer, etc. so they don't even have a DVD-ROM drive. Use software like e.g. Daemon Tools to mount a .iso directly. I store all my software that way (as .ISOs) because I don't want to have to dig out the physical disks. :)
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, August 29, 2009 4:53 PM
  • Why?

Hi Ken,
    I guess because I store all my physcial software discs in a disc binder with the key codes permanantly labeled on the discs with a sharpie.  At least that way I can prove I have a license. To each his own. 

I must admit I haven't followed the available oem hardware options.  How does an oem owner reinstall after an OS partition disc failure?
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 7:52 PM
  • You boot to a recovery environment (usually by pressing a button while your server is booting), and recover over the network.

BTW, I put my license keys in a text file alongside the .iso. :) Different strokes...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 9:31 PM