What kind of function the relationship behavior of "reparent" is ? RRS feed

• Question

• (CRM v3)

Hello

I wonder what kind of function the relationship behavior of "reparent" is. I believe that I know the purpose of the security role of reparent. It is the role for you to change a record of parent entity, right? But, as for the relationship behavior, I have no idea.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 1:20 AM

Answers

• reparent relationship behavior applies to when a parent is specified or removed.  The default behavior, cascade all, give the owner of the parent access to the child.  For example, if you are the owner of the account, and I create an opportunity against that account, by default, you will be given access to that opportunity.  I will be the owner of the opportunity, but you will have security access to it.

If this is not the way that you want it to work, you can change the relationship reparent behavior to cascade none.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 11:29 AM
  • what is your opportunity security level?  My answer assumes that the user has user level opportunity security.  If your security level is higher, you will be able to access opportunities that are not assigned to you.

Reparent only really applies when the record is otherwise not available to you.
    Thursday, June 12, 2008 10:47 AM

All replies

• reparent relationship behavior applies to when a parent is specified or removed.  The default behavior, cascade all, give the owner of the parent access to the child.  For example, if you are the owner of the account, and I create an opportunity against that account, by default, you will be given access to that opportunity.  I will be the owner of the opportunity, but you will have security access to it.

If this is not the way that you want it to work, you can change the relationship reparent behavior to cascade none.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 11:29 AM
  • Joel

I appreciate for sharing that with me.

Hate to say this, but things haven't gone as well as you told me the example of the typical reparent relationship behavior.

It goes like this...

The reparent relationship behavior between account and opportunity is "cascade none" on our CRM. I created a new account. And another user created an opportunity against the acount. But although the relationship reparent behacior is "cascade none", I was able to access to the opportunity.

My operation may be wrong...

Thursday, June 12, 2008 7:21 AM
  • what is your opportunity security level?  My answer assumes that the user has user level opportunity security.  If your security level is higher, you will be able to access opportunities that are not assigned to you.

Reparent only really applies when the record is otherwise not available to you.
    Thursday, June 12, 2008 10:47 AM
  • Joel

I've gotten a clear picture now.

I thank you very much.

Doraneko

Friday, June 13, 2008 8:02 AM