OCS Edge problemas with Web Conferencing AND A/V Conferencing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have configured an OCS Edge Server and already IM is working fine from outside the company, but I cannot get the Web Conferencing or the A/V Conferencing to work.
    I have configured the following:
    3 external public IP address each for one of the following services and ports opened on the firewall
    ocsaccess.domain.com 443 inbound access edge
    ocsav.domain.com 443 and 50000-59999 inbound audio video conferencing edge
    ocswebconf.domain.com 443 inbound web conferencing edge

there are no firewall restrictions from the internal interface of the edge to the internal network so the communication with the standard server on the internal network shouldn´t be a problem.
    I´ve had tested the connection to both the web and a/v conferencing by doing a telnet to port 443 from a computer outside the organization, and it opens the connection just fine.
    I have checked the configuration both on the edge properties and the standard server on the inside properties, where there is a web conferencing tab asking for both the internal and external name of the web conferencing edge server.
    I have enable all users to have remote access.
    all the settings look OK, even on the event log of the edge, I get a message that says that web conferencing server connected successfully with FQDN <internalserver>.domain.com

So, I don´t know honestly what else to do...
    Maybe is something simple or not, any ideas?

Monday, November 10, 2008 11:52 PM

All replies

• Since it sounds like you have the network communications working correctly, what specifically isn't working in your scenario?  Are users getting resolution errors, connection failures, certificate errors, etc?

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 12:39 PM
  • Hey Jeff thanks for the reply.

The problem is that when users try to join a live meeting from the outside, an error message appears that says:

live meeting cannot connect to the meeting. wait a few moments, and then try to join the again. if you still can´t connect, contact your administrator or technical support.

When a user tries to make a communicator call to another user, the call fails; the call starts ok, it rings on the other side, and after you pick up, the connecting call appears and after a while the call drops.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 2:47 PM
  • ok so I finally got the live meetings working following this KB article from microsoft.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938288

Now I only need to make the A/V conferencing edge server to work...

I´ve seen from the documentation that it says that the IP address of the A/V edge server has to be a direct routable public IP address, but can I make a 1 to 1 NAT relationship? or does it definetly has to be a public IP on the network adapter on the edge?

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 3:50 PM
  • You definitely need a publicly routable IP on the external NIC of the A/V Edge server.  If you try to NAT or PAT the address there are potential issues that may arise.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 4:13 PM
  • Eduardo,

Take alook at these articles as they should help clear up any questions you have on the Edge Server:

http://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/schertz_jeff/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=19

http://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/schertz_jeff/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=33

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 6:53 PM
  • thanks for the links! great help in those guides!

I´m going to connect the Edge external adapter directly to a routable public IP and test the configuration for the audio video, interesting fact though... with 1 to 1 NAT on the audio video I found out that calls from one outside user to another outside user works ok, but when I call someone inside the company is when it doesn´t work.

anyways, too bad we have to configure the A/V without NAT, I hope someday this can be configured more easily.

thanks for all the help!

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 10:03 PM
  • ok so I changed the routing configuration, now all the OCS Edge IPs are public IPs directly routable to the internet, and I´m still having the same issue as before!

All the other services work fine, IM, Live Meetings, even the Mobile Communicator, but the A/V still is not working...

I did a netstat and found out that the public IP for A/V is listening on TCP on port 443 and on UDP on port 3478, but I don´t see anywhere that is listening on the media port ranges of 50000 to 59999.

also, when I connect using telnet from outside to port 443 to the A/V Edge Public IP, the connection is established but only like for 3 seconds and then it drops out, is this normal? right now I have no firewall behind or before the Edge Server.... just until I know it works....

any ideas on why my A/V Edge server still doesn´t work?

thanks for the replies!

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 12:40 AM
  • So I finally called microsoft support and they helped me out, the problem was the A/V Autentication service listening on port 443, they changed it to listen on port 5062 and everything works fine now!

you have to change this defualt options on the AV conferencing properties on the Standar server, and also on the global propeties of the forest.

thanks for those who helped me out!

Thursday, November 13, 2008 7:16 PM
  • If you are collocating Edge roles on any of the same IP addresses, then that solution would make sense, as unique ports would need to be assigned.

Thursday, November 13, 2008 9:40 PM